1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three minutes and twenty-one seconds.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, May 16, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got home last night from Bimini. Sorry, no pictures. They were selling a CD with 1,200 pictures on it (every pic they took, without deleting the bad or blurred or redundant ones) and I cannot deal with that kind of nonsense.

It was a mixed experience. The previous week the ocean was "as flat as glass," so they told us, but we had strong wind and rough seas the whole time, which was seasickville for me in spite of taking the maximum dose of the strongest prescription med there is for it. We only had two really good dolphin encounters, and I was too seasick to get in the water for the first of them. So I had one good encounter, lasting over an hour.

We also had freediving class taught by William Trubridge, who presently holds the world record for constant-weight no fins freediving: 95 meters on one breath of air. Wearing only a swim suit, bathing cap, and water-filled goggles he went down 95 meters and came back up.

I made it down to 42 feet, which was disappointing for me, but I learned what I need to work on. My form was not good. And I had trouble equalizing my ears. And I was not able to overcome my I-want-air panic. The urge to breathe is triggered by elevated CO2, not by low O2 levels. As you descend, pressure increases, including CO2 partial pressure. This triggers a powerful urge to breathe. The freediver must learn to overcome this urge, and I was not able to do so.

So I was foiled by my own inability to incorporate what I knew about freediving, and also by stuffy sinuses, which slowed my descents.

I did better at static apnea: We took several minutes to completely relax next to a pool at the marina. Then we lay in the water and took slow, deep breaths. Hyperventilating is both dangerous and counterproductive. Then a very deep breath and put our face in the water and held our breath while a buddy timed us. On my third and last attempt I held my breath for 3 minutes and 21 seconds. The longest I've ever done before was one minute and 5 seconds, sitting in my easy chair at home. Putting your face in the water triggers the mammalian diving reflex and greatly extends your ability to hold your breath. Being totally relaxed conserves oxygen, of course, and makes static apnea much easier than active apnea.

Next month I go to Little Cayman for scuba diving. Maybe I'll skip the first dive of the morning one day and try some freediving. If I could get to 50 feet and stay down for one minute while swimming I'd be really happy.

1 person likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I doubt that I could hold my breath for more than a minute under any circumstances.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you bicycle there, or walk?

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't believe I could go more than a minute and a half, and I said so. I've held my breath for 1:05 sitting in my easy chair, as relaxed as I could be. But the mammalian diving reflex is real. Doing it the way we did, you'd hold your breath at least two minutes and probably 3 or 4 if you've never trained for it. I think the shortest time of anyone in our group was 2:30, and that was only because he got bored. That guy was staying down for over a minute and a half while swimming, which is a LOT harder. I never even lasted 45 seconds while swimming.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What works pretty well is swimming from one end of a pool to another with no air. I mean a full 25m or 50m pool. For me when I feel I need to breath, I sort of take really short "breaths" really rapidly with my mouth closed and of course nose blowing air out. This keeps me from actually breathing for as long as I want.

6. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad your back! :) Sorry to hear you had such a tough go, but happy to hear you got at least one good encounter with the dolphins.

:)

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Active apnea is a lot harder than static. 25 meters would be really pushing it for me, and there's no way I could do 50. Maybe if I learned to overcome that air panic I talked about.

I'm not sure exhaling is a good idea, since you're giving up oxygen. But if you can do 50 meters you're doing something right.

Do you wear weights to maintain neutral buoyancy? I can stay down longer when I am correctly weighted, because without weights I use up a lot of oxygen exerting effort to stay down, whereas weighted I can relax, and expend only the energy needed to move forward. (I've seldom tried active apnea in a pool, and never recently. I'm always in the ocean, cruising along looking at the corals and the fishes, or swimming with the dolphins.)

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's good you received some training. Just take care and don't let your goal exceed your abilities, and have a buddy with you. It seems at least once a year a free diver dies here because of shallow water blackout.

My daughter was on a school sponsored boat trip and with her small group's chaperon, a surfer, diver, and water person, when he died most likely from SWB.

Punahou teacher's death jolts expedition | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Just a reminder to be careful.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, they stressed the need for a buddy. I'll probably pay for a DM to accompany me as a buddy on the day I try freediving, even though I won't be going very deep or staying down very long. My goal is just 8 feet deeper and about 20 seconds longer than the 42 feet and 40 seconds of my best dive from this trip.

I'm not trying to set any records. Just improve my snorkeling skills.

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three minutes and twenty-one seconds...sound about right for me. However, not for holding breath in.

Also, time increases exponentially as completion frequency increases within 24 hours. :lol:

My son just finished Scuba 1 (30 feet) certification, and is starting #2 for 100 feet this summer. He wants to go pro, and I'm helping him achieve his dream.
    I bought him the complete BEUCHAT system - awesome BCD.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have to work your way up. Since I was a kid, we have had a swimming pool (10m in the backyard when young), and we would dive in and go to the other side. My sister and I also swam competitively, so we had a lot of pool time :)

The more air you are carrying, the more buoyancy you have too. When I was diving in the Carribean (just for fun, from a boat to the reefs) I usually expelled most of my air on the way down. This let me stay down for a while, but it did take a few minutes between for me to recapture normal breathing.

No weights. In the pool a good breast-stroke fully underwater usually works for maintaining elevation.

I know everyone has a different natural buoyancy. If you just float on the water, do you float or do you sink? If you do float, and then start exhaling, how much do you have to exhale before you start to sink?

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I float. Even in fresh water I float pretty high. Of course, in the ocean I'm usually wearing a 3-mil wet suit, and then I float like a cork. I was wearing two lbs of weight on this trip and I probably should have been wearing six. In Belize I was wearing four lbs of weight with just a dive skin, and that was perfect for the shallow freediving we were doing there.

Of course the trade-off is that with more weight it's easier to go down but harder to get back up, and when I was trying for depth and time, I was scared to wear more weight and potentially have a hard time getting back to the surface in a pinch. But in retrospect, I needed at least 4 lbs with the wet suit. The experienced divers were wearing a lot more weight. Of course William was not wearing any weight at all, but he has no visible fat on his body at all. I have 20 lbs of excess fat.

I have to exhale completely before I get close to neutral buoyancy.