1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three week ownership thoughts

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Amy In Wyoming, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is an MPG graph. Truth be told, I found the instant MPG not to be so useful compared to averages over a 10 mile distance.

Bob Wilson

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dynamic cruise control handles the automatic braking and it is a good thing. You can adjust its distance sensitivity but I've never looked for a way to make cruise control fixed again.

In contrast, the optical-only, BMW i3-REx has both dynamic and fixed modes. There are lighting conditions like driving into the sun where the optically based system won't work. It will kick out of dynamic as needed and then you change it to fixed speed mode. Keeps you on your toes.

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Taken from here: Prime Features Explained | PriusChat

DRCC (full-speed or all-range) – Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
    When activated, it uses a forward facing radar to detect metallic objects (e.g. vehicles) ahead of the driver and maintain the preset distance (short, medium or long) that the driver has set. As the car approaches the vehicle ahead or a vehicle merges into your lane, your Prius Prime will adjust its speed to maintain the preset distance between you and the driver ahead. Once the vehicle ahead speeds up or moves out of your lane, your Prius will then accelerate back up to your preset cruising speed. To set the dynamic radar cruise control, turn on the cruise control via the on/off switch on the cruise control stalk. The multi-information display should now read “Radar Ready”. Set your cruising speed and the multi-information display should now display a Prius Prime and 3 bars or the "long" distance setting. If a second vehicle is shown near the top of the screen, it means that your Prius Prime has identified a vehicle ahead and has radar lock. To adjust the distance, press the DRCC distance button located on the right side of the steering wheel. By default, “long” is selected. At 50mph (80km/h), “long” is approximately 160ft (50m), “medium” is 130ft (40m) and “short” is 100ft (30m). The Prime is equipped with full-speed DRCC which allows the vehicle to follow another vehicle down to a complete stop. When the vehicle has come to a complete stop, the 4.2" MID will display "Waiting..." which means the Prime is waiting for your input and will not automatically move forward. When DRCC is activated at a complete stop, "Waiting..." may also be engaged. This allows the driver to release the brake pedal and allow DRCC to hold the brakes, similar to an "Auto Hold" braking function. Ensure that "Waiting..." is displayed before releasing the brake pedal. When the traffic clears or the vehicle ahead begins to move, either select "RES" by pushing up on the cruise control stalk or tap the accelerator to tell your Prius Prime to begin moving forward. The Prime's DRCC also allows a low-speed follow so the vehicle will maintain the distance as long as there is a vehicle in front of you.

DRCC can be used when the vehicle speed is approximately above 30 mph (50km/h) although owners have been able to set the speed as low as 28mph (45km/h). Full-speed DRCC will follow a vehicle down to 0 mph. If your speed is below 25mph (40km/h) and the vehicle loses radar lock (e.g. the vehicle you're following changes lane), DRCC will cancel itself. In addition, if the vehicle has been stopped for more than 3 minutes or the seatbelt is unbuckled or the driver's door is opened, DRCC will cancel.

Basically, it keeps both speed and distance to the vehicle ahead.

If you want regular cruise control, just press and hold the cruise on/off button until regular cruise control (called "constant speed cruise control" in the owner's manual) is selected.

4. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't worry about fuel getting stale. If that is a possibility, add some fuel stabilizer to the tank (Sta-Bil or equal). There are different formulations of gasoline for the seasons. Do run down the gas and get the winter version of 87 octane when that is available. In some cases the winter formulation is for reduced emissions, and in other cases it is for proper vaporization at the lower temperatures.
    Also keep a check on your tire pressures as the temperatures drop.

Mark57 likes this.
  5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good reminder.

This is nothing to brush off either. Depending on the size of the tire, pressure can drop 1-2 PSI per every 10°F of temperature drop.

We just had a 40°F drop in temps for two days and I've been outside airing up the tires on all three vehicles. They each needed about 4 PSI added.

Under inflated tires get hot, and go bad quickly with bad results.

6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What is the ideal tire pressure to keep the tires at?

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG, you didn't really ask that question on this site did you. . . . . Oh no the agony of 10,000 conflicting replies. :D

On my 2010 I ran my PSI @ 42. It rode hard and everyone besides me hated it. Great mileage though and it probably was wearing out the struts early. On my Prime, I'm running 37 and it rides/handles wonderful and gets great mileage. Everyone else here will of course have a different opinion. :p

8. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried my run flats at zero psi but the ride was all over the place

iPhone ?

Mark57 likes this.
  9. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Really good in the sand though, eh? ;)

10. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But why call them run flats if they need air!?!

iPhone ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, just "more" air than you had.

12. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't feel constrained to just one opinion...Get me going and I'm sure I can passionately insist several different pressures are the best.
    My opinion...Above 40 = too harsh...Below 36 = too soft...37-39 = can't really tell the difference so I shoot for about that.

#52 ct89, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Mark57 likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Goldilocks, is that you? :D

Raytheeagle, jerrymildred and huskers like this.
  14. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So do any of you go 2 pounds one way or the other front/backs with the Prime?

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You beat me to it! I was going to say:
    "You had to go and ask that one, didn't you." :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I run mine 42-44.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yours is only a Prime predecessor though.;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops! I got so engrossed that I forgot which forum this is. :D

alexcue and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did on the 2010, but I keep it the same on the Prime. It seems nicely balanced.

19. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm, junk in the trunk eh?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard that advice as well. How valid it REALLY is? Who knows?

For me? 600 miles is a pretty short duration. So right, wrong or indifferent, I can pass on using the cruise control for that period of time.
    I think I've followed similar advice...basically because while I was dubious it was necessary and valid, I also felt following the advice would do no harm, and was easy enough to do anyway.