1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three weeks of driving a Gen4 compared to my Gen2...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Aug 10, 2018.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been without my Gen two for 3 weeks as it was totaled and then salvaged/Rebuilt. While waiting for the repairs and re-titling, I've had the opportunity to drive my sister's gen4 and I love it. More power and much smoother to drive.

However, why the heck did Toyota get rid of all the great storage?? I've always carried several tools, an ER kit, and some other general supplies in my Prius - principally in the large storage bin above the spare tire. For anyone who similarly (maybe obsessively) likes to store multiple items, how have you adjusted?

Now for a Gen4 mystery - when I'm driving I can hear a wind or fan noise that seems to be coming from the back right of the car. This noise is only apparent when the car is moving. I do not hear it at all when the car is completely stationary. Another weird phenomenon is that the noise seems to disappear when the rear seats are folded down - any ideas?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wind noise - not a door or window seal? Tyre noise? It won't be the Hybrid battery fan as it would sometimes continue after you stop.

The Gen 2 and Gen 4 are completely unrelated platforms - so a clean sheet. Hence, I guess some of the nooks and storage wasn't as available. But the boot is bigger.

I guess you lose some but gain much more - it's a far better car to drive.

upload_2018-8-11_12-3-16.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if it was battery cooling fan. If the weather (battery) was already hot, the additional charge/discharge heat generated might be enough to trigger the fan. Flipping the back seat down might be muffling the fan noise from the vent. (n)

#3 RCO, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    ITBland, Smaug1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if there might be something covering the vent - which isn't when the seat is folded?

5. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Checked again today and I can actually hear the noise when the seat is folded down too, just not nearly as obvious. I'm fairly certain its not coming from the hybrid fan vents.

#5 rogerthat, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    krmcg likes this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought one of those plastic storage boxes with the snap-on lid, and put it in the hatchback area. Easy to move, I can also throw it on the rear seat if need be. I try not to carry too much " stuff", just a few basic supplies.

krmcg and RCO like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you tell us why you reached that conclusion please? (n)

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not heard noise from the hybrid vent much unless I strain to hear - but it's continued after the car stopped. I presume it's related to battery temperature rather than movement of the car.

RCO likes this.
  9. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid fan vents are in front of the rear seat. The noise seems to be coming from the back rear and is only evident when the car is moving. I have since returned the car to my sister. When I get another chance, I need to better examine the underside of the car.

RCO likes this.
  10. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a sound I hear once in awhile; not sure what it is, but I'm sure it's part of the way the car works. It's after I let off the brakes, it sounds like a motor running for a few seconds, then it stops. I know it's normal though, because my wife's and mom's prii do it too.

It doesn't sound like a malfunction. I'm thinking it's something backing off the friction brakes.

11. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    rogerthat: Just last week I (reluctantly) traded in my GEN2 for a GEN4 and the things I miss the most are the cargo cover and the storage well. I do like the increased power and am getting used to the new displays. Sorry I can’t help you out with the noise you’re hearing, but your comment about the cargo well missing hit home.

Smaug1 and RCO like this.
  12. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think the EV engaging over 42mph is dope AF.

ShenmueTacos, DLC82SV and Smaug1 like this.