1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Threw a rod on 08 Prius. Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jfrench, Nov 2, 2018.

1. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless my orientation is all screwed up, that is the #4 cylinder/rod that failed and judging from the LACK of bearing material or discoloration of the rod or crank journal, it suggests that the piston failed. The most common reason for that is pre-ignition, aka: engine knock.

2. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Successfully dropped it at the shop back in Austin. 12 hour round trip. No issues. I owe my coworker a favor; he spent all day driving his Suburban with me to help retrieve my expensive paperweight.

Now, to get a firm price and schedule from the dealer on the engine replacement...

bisco, 05PreeUs and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Circling back for the happy ending - dealer (Nuvo Auto in Mustang Ridge, TX) replaced the engine and transmission, both of which had been destroyed in the rod throwing incident, only charging me labor and incidental parts. $890 and I've been happily rolling again for 3 weeks now. Decent!

Previous transmission:

m.wynn, SFO, bisco and 1 other person like this.