1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle body and MAP sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anon_prius, Aug 14, 2019.

1. anon_prius

anon_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have a good video or images of the location and cleaning of the throttle body and MAP sensor? Is it located in the throttle body or the intake manifold? How do I remove and clean it? I've cleaned the MAF but the MAP is on my radar as part of replacing the PCV from the topside and installing the OCC on my 2011.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NutzAboutBolts and anon_prius like this.
  3. anon_prius

anon_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found the throttle body tutorial but couldn't seem to find anything about the MAP sensor. Is it attached to the intake manifold? I watched the intake manifold cleaning tutorial but I don't think he mentioned the MAP sensor.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, idk. pm him and ask

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To clean the MAP sensor, you remove the intake air box, and it's right down below the throttle body, on the right side as you stand at front of engine. It has two holes, one for a small bolt the other just to orient it. Pull off the electrical connector, and remove the bolt, and it pulls off easy. I would spray it with MAF cleaner, maybe a little gentle brushing with Q-Tip. It's quite sturdy looking, looks like a little resistor. Be careful though, they're over $200 to replace.

While you've got the intake air box off, a good time to clean the throttle body, you clean it without removal, but you'll do a better job taking off the two bolts and two nuts, disconnect the electrical connector, lift it off the studs. You don't need to disconnect the coolant lines, they have a fair amount of play. Apply carb cleaner to a cloth, clean the inside of the barrel and the blade. You can gently push the blade open to clean more thoroughly. Torque value is quite low: 7 foot/pounds, for the two hold-down nuts and bolts. Use a 3/8" or 1/4" torque wrench, and go in a criss-cross when reinstalling the bolts/nuts. Verify torque values, info in the attachment.

Watch also @NutzAboutBolts video on the throttle body cleaning, pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum. It also outlines the air box removal steps.

While you've got the throttle body off, have a look at the interior of the intake manifold. There'll likely be a pool of oil in there. See @NutzAboutBolts video on intake manifold removal/cleaning. A good last step after that in an oil catch can install, to keep it clean.

6. MachMarcus

MachMarcus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could you clean the intake through removing the MAP sensor and using something like the BG fuel induction service or any one of the spray Carbon cleaners (CRC, SeaFoam, Lucas).

7. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A little late for this answer but if you go beyond soaking up any oil at the bottom of the intake manifold, you might as well remove the manifold and thoroughly clean the four EGR injection ports (one port each in the four manifold outputs) and clean the EGR valve and front passage/elbow. I don't think you can do a complete intake cleaning without removing the manifold. But, you might be able to siphon any manifold oil thru either the throttle body opening, the EGR intake port, the PVC/intake port, or the MAP sensor port.