1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle body has plenty of oil - how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ChrisFaehrtPrius, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ChrisFaehrtPrius

ChrisFaehrtPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello!
    I was going to clean my 2005‘s throttle body and found plenty of oil/gunk in there. Please see the attached photo.
    How bad is it, is this caused by a PCV valve that’s stuck open, and what do i do about it?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Christian

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because of the Atkisson cycle oddity of the engine it will always have a puddle of oil in the bottom of the throttler body. Thats normal.
    Disregard.

If you pull off the 2 hoses that are plugged into the throttle body there's one in the front one in the back the back one I think (not at home) is from the pcv valve and will have alot of gunk in it if never cleaned.

Stuff a rag deep into the throttle body to catch all the carb cleaner flush and then flush out the inlet from the pcv and then scrub down the walls of the TB. I use strips of t shirt I put them in the TB soak them with carb cleaner and then scrub away when done pull the strip out and throw it away.
    Yo must have something in the bottom of the TB to catch all the flush or the engine will run really rough trying to digest all the carb cleanerr when you start the engine.

Skibob likes this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Ed says it’s actually quite common. There have even been people here where the dealer said their engine was shot when it was just fine. It’s new even to the mechanics that work on them.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. ChrisFaehrtPrius

ChrisFaehrtPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, thats good to hear, thanks for the background information. I thought it was a sign of a worn engine. I've cleaned the butterfly best I could, replaced the PCV valve, and I'll leave it at that for now. Engine is still running somewhat rough in idle when cold.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2005.....lots of miles.