1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle Controller device on C

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by KLpriusC, Mar 28, 2014.

1. KLpriusC

KLpriusC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hai guys.

How do you think guys about this device?
    In my country i've seen so many people using this on their Drive-by-wirr vehicles. Any pros and cons about this device?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. KLpriusC

KLpriusC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the link.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK so I've got to ask:
    What's the point ?
    What are you trying to accomplish with something like this ??

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In cars with drive by wire throttle controls, some prefer to remap the sensitivity of the throttle. The hatchback has Power mode, the c doesn't.

My Camry has an annoying split second of throttle lag when you press the gas pedal. Some of the aftermarket throttle control devices decrease or eliminate this deficiency in throttle response.

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    To get "power mode" in a car that doesn't have a setting for that........just push down the pedal farther and faster. :whistle:

And I think you are fooling yourself if you think you will ever eliminate the "throttle lag" in a hybrid that stops the engine when you aren't moving.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The last time I checked, my Camry wasn't a hybrid. ;)

Also, the throttle lag is also present when accelerating while the vehicle is in motion. Press the gas pedal, wait about a second, then acceleration happens. Very disconcerting when trying to pass, or maybe even collision avoidance. :eek:

I'm sure it is programmed in to satisfy the sudden acceleration risk management lawyer types in the hope that pedal misapplication will be somehow mitigated. :rolleyes:

SCH-I535

flotowngtm likes this.
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    According to... oh heck, I can't remember, but I think it was Garm who tried it on his C... the throttle controller does get rid of the majority of the lag on the C and makes it react like an actual car, without the delay.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Reminds me of this morning. HotRodGuy comes up on my tail at a light. We all turn left, with a bigtruck in the lead. I stay with the bigtruck in the right lane, HRG cuts the turn short and goes around us in the left lane.

HRG mashes the gas in his Nissan sedan as hard as he can, spins up the motor, makes a LOT of noise, and slowly accelerates up the hill only to get stopped by the light.

He made a lot of noise, and I'm sure his throttle response was spot-on, but in the end he was hot rodding a sedan with a weak motor. 1 second response...half-second response...instantaneous response...

[​IMG]

10. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not bashing, Panson. Just giving an opinion.

My Z28 has instant throttle response, and it can be a real treat. I simply question the idea of spending money on something of dubious value. Depends on the individual, I'm sure.

On the highway and with the revs up the C has pretty good throttle response in it's stock form. There would be little value in an add-on at that range.

Off the line and in the city the throttle response is weak. I get it. I don't do cut/thrust drive in city traffic any more even in the Camaro, so instant throttle response in city traffic would be of little value to me.

But, for someone that's never experienced real thrust, or is still in the "modify what you got" stage, it could be of some value. Even on a Prius C.

Can't fault a man for an opinion, can you?

ztanos likes this.
  11. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The throttle controller really does noticeably reduce the throttle lag, which is excessive in this CVT car. Everyone who has driven my car or ridden in it has noticed the difference. No, it doesn't make it into another car, but it does something just stomping on the pedal doesn't do.

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Like what for instance ?
    Does it somehow keep the engine ON while the car is not moving ??
    I'd like to see the specifics on what this wonderful little device actually DOES.

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nope. it makes it so that when you press the accelerator pedal, you actually move. There is a hesitation in the PC for some reason.

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The question is: How does it DO that ?
    Part of the reason that there is a hesitation is that the engine is usually OFF.

And I guess it depends some on your definition of "move".
    My C starts to move the moment I take my foot off the brake.

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    On occasion I've made the tires squeal from a standing start in my C. The electric motor puts out quite a bit of torque at low speeds.

wildgatsby likes this.
  16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not always. I have had plenty of hesitation when I'm on the highway and need to change lanes fast. I just learned to press the gas early.

wildgatsby likes this.
  17. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When I was learning to drive, that kind of "hesitation" was called "6 cylinder driving". :)

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got mixed emotions here.
    It's not the stupidest thing that I've ever seen for a car....but I'm thinking that if throttle response were important to me I might be driving a different car....or at least a real car for weekend duty, leaving the Prius for commuting and errands.
    I've never been to Kuala Lumpur, but I presume that fuel prices might be a little more expensive there than here, and one of the devices (TOM's) is only $120 or so.
    Cheap enough to spend for a toy.

I personally am not bothered by the fact that the Prius has to mull things over for a half second or so when you send a request to the engine room for some acceleration. I don't like the "idea" of fly-by-wire but it's comforting to know that you can put a brick on the accelerator pedal.....go and get a cup coffee.....and not hurt the car in the least.

If you're going to do it?
    Do it.

It's your car.
    MAKE it yours! :)

Good Luck!

19. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It DOES take some planning to drive a C aggressively in traffic with that slow throttle response. I usually don't bother. And pulling out in sporadic traffic can be very...entertaining.

There are worse things to spend money on, to be sure.

ztanos likes this.
  20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Except that my last car was a 4 cylinder Saturn... I, also, have a 283 1966 Chevelle. So I know the difference between slow acceleration and delayed throttle response.