1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle Issue After Minor Accident

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by corystal, Jun 29, 2013.

1. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was backing out of a parking space on the street this afternoon and hit a car that was coming down the street. The rear passenger side bumper was crunched in but I popped it out and now it's just scuffed. The impact wasn't that much, but now the throttle seems messed up.

When starting from a stop there's an initial burst of power folllowed by a brief lull and then power comes back. Facing up a hill.. there is no power with the gas pedal slightly depressed and then it kicks in with the same jerky power delivery. I've also noticed that the realtime MPG doesnt jump up to 100 when I'm coasting like it used to and the engine doesnt quit when at a stop.. and the idle fluctuates a bit.

Is all this possible from a minor bump to the rear of the car? Is it in some sort of mode because it thinks the batt cells may be damaged? This is my first hybrid and I'm fearing the worst :(

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you haven't already, pull up the cargo area floor in that corner and see if the battery has been physically damaged.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did the 12v get knocked around? check the connections.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Also check the battery negative connection to the body right behind the battery.
    And relax, it's most likely there is nothing major wrong. The car is probably just confused.

5. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess the car was confused.. it worked itself out after sitting for a bit and is back to normal... thanks for your suggestions!