1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle Issues P2102

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spitinuri, Aug 8, 2008.

1. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all... I'm not a tech head when it comes to Prius. I am waiting on a 2005 prius rebuild and the last issue with the car is there is no throttle response (exept for manually) and the ice shuts down after about 30 seconds.

Battery both traction and 12v have been exchanged. The pedal and cable have been changed. This car was driving fine before rebuild. So here we are.. do we exchange the ecu? Evidently there was a flash ecu upgrade for a throttle issue. Is there a possibility this is the issue? Once you change out the ecu you get into smartkey issues and the like.

I didn't change the parts or pay for the parts. I'm just looking for a clue.

Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is DTC P2102 the only code that is logged? If so, the possible problem areas include the throttle control motor, the wiring harness, and the ECM. The accelerator pedal is not a possible problem area.

I suggest that you inspect the throttle body interior and throttle plate, and clean both if dirty. If you still have a problem, then measure the resistance across the throttle control motor terminals. The spec is 0.3 ohms to 100 ohms at 68 degrees F, not sure why the allowable range is so great.

The fact that the ICE shuts down may not indicate a problem. Once the engine has warmed up a little, it is supposed to shut down when not in use.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ect= no throttle cable...

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    pardon... should have said wiring harness

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok, just want to make sure you're not getting screwed with.

well, could be a problem with the tb- would check that first before diving into a new ecm.

6. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I trust the guy. He told me this one has really perplexed him. I think he was trying everything before changing the ecu. According to him when you change the ECU it involves the smart-key. He told me he has changed about every part (from working vehicles) to ensure that the replacement wasn't defective.

I was thinking the update flash of ecu as a last ditch before the change out.

7. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so what was your problem and did you ever get it fixed

SFO likes this.