1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle pedal sensor problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Itsmeonprius, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    My Prius has just thrown this problem. No engine acceleration but the car still goes. Traced it down to the pot on the gas pedal. I've put a multimeter (ohms) across various pins and a particular set are not showing a smooth impedance when the pedal is pressed. Just to make sure I'm right with this, does anyone have a pin out of that component and expected values?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need a parts car. I don't have the pinouts, but you might be able to clean up the pot with electrical contact cleaner. Or take it a part and dress the wiring in the pot. Have you located a breaker in GB that has any gen 1 pri's? Or maybe on the continent? I thought Rockauto sold them, but turns out Google was sending me to the sensor for Camry's. Best to do what Chap suggests.

#2 Brian in Tucson, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Search for threads on "big hand syndrome" (because the car acts like there's a big hand pushing you back). There are details on opening and cleaning and regluing the assembly, though it sounds like a pain, and you might save time and feel more confident just replacing it, maybe with a reclaimed one.

4. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks for the info. I've ordered a 2nd hand unit from eBay which I can test before installing. I've also managed to find the pinouts and expected resistances.
    Yeah I think I'll go ahead and open it up now that I've got something coming in the post.

I'll let you know how I get on.

pshawfocus likes this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
  7. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Head scratch time......

Just checked the pinout and expected resistances on my original pedal. They're all good. Wth! Do I suspect it's intermittent and with all the messing about I've cleaned the wipers? Or do I start tackling the TPS or throttle body motor?

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd plug it back in and see if it works. Or check the resistance as you turn the pot drive.

9. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hey Brian. That's exactly what I've done. So I've driven about locally to see if it would fail again and eventually it did. But this time I got this experience.

Gently pressing the pedal produces no engine acceleration but if I push past towards the floor, take off! Engine acceleration kicks in. So now I'm thinking possible sticking throttle body motor.

Get home and I rob the one from the broken engine and install it. Check for codes and clear lack of engine power code. Back out on the road and so far seems okay.

I'll need to test the removed throttle body to satisfy myself.

10. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Update:

I had two problems. Suspect accelerator pedal where I got a good one.

Igniter circuit #3 failed permanently. Found a set of Denso replacements and now all good.

Mendel Leisk likes this.