1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throwing code U0100 - running on gas engine only

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by satsuke, Jul 10, 2018.

1. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

Has anyone seen their 2012 Prius (3) throw a code U0100.

I've searched for it on here and seen everything from a charge controller to a bad accessory battery.

On mine, the engine wasn't revving up smoothly and now it's running the gas engine almost exclusively .. traction battery fully depleted.

It hasn't thrown a fault light, but the ECV reads codes U0100 and B15FE. The second one is an XM radio code near as I can tell.

The accessory battery is reading between 12.1 and 12.3 volts while in accessory mode, I can't find my ODB2 reader.

Any idea what's going on? The battery seams a little low, but that shouldn't cause weirdness once the DC>DC inverter is engaged and supplying a steady 13.8

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    that battery is toast

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Googling that code, it says a loss of communication, with ECM/PCM. Maybe the 12 volt battery is low and causing a communication problem with the Electronic Control Module? Simple first step would be to check the 12 volt battery condition more thoroughly. Cheap/quick would be with a digital voltmeter, with the car off overnight.

Better would be an electronic load tester. You can pick them up on Amazon, or automotive retailers. Any automotive retailer selling 12 volt batteries is likely to have a pro-level test of that type, be willing to check your 12 volt battery for free.

I'm using a Solar BA5, but there's a lot of options out there now:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=12+volt+battery+electronic+battery+tester

Raytheeagle likes this.