1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thrown Drive Belt, P0117, P1121, Colant Leak!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dwgsp, Jan 27, 2018.

1. dwgsp

dwgsp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a check engine light and an intermittent red warning light today on my '07 Prius. A code scan reveals a repeating pattern of P0117 and P1121 codes. When I opened the hood, I found that the drive belt had been thrown and there's coolant spilled underneath the water pump.

The belt itself is not broken and it doesn't look terribly worn, so I'm not sure why it was thrown off. I will replace it, but I wonder why it was thrown. I reached in with my hand and turned the water pump pulley, and there's a fair amount of resistance. Is that normal? Also, would a thrown belt be a likely cause of the spilled coolant? The coolant reservoir is not empty, however the level is low.

I appreciate any input from the experienced folks on this forum.

Thanks!
    /Don

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your 07? Had any recent work done around the water pump? Was the bolt tensioner loose?

If the belt flopped off, it explains the code as the water pump would not be turning.

I’ve replaced the water pump on an 07 before and getting the tensioner tight is key.

Since the pump sounds like it is leaking, you may want to swap it out and top up the engine coolant loop. This takes time and ensure you get the CHRS pump to fill the thermos.

Hope that helps.

SFO, dwgsp and JC91006 like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm clueless about belt driven second gen coolant pump, but if the belt is intact, the pump is hard to turn, and there's coolant spilled, seems the pump's the smoking gun.

Here's some info anyway:

Attached Files:

dwgsp and JC91006 like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P1121 also suggests you have a problem with the 3 way coolant valve. You might want to tackle that at the same time and then fill/change coolant

SFO, dwgsp and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bearing is shot in the water pump and its spraying out of the pump weep hole. How many miles on your 07 and has the engine coolant ever been changed?

6. dwgsp

dwgsp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car has 143K miles. I bought it used about three years ago (99K miles) and I believe that the previous owner had the local Toyota dealer perform all of the service.

My local Advance auto parts store claims to have the water pump in stock, so I'll replace it today. Not sure if they also have the three way coolant value, but if they do I will tackle that as well. New coolant, too.

Many thanks!

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not use a doorman pos pump. It’s a difficult job in that it’s difficult to bleed the air out of the system properly. So you really don’t want to go back in and do it again. The oem pump is 100% better quality.

M in KC likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go on Toyota.com/owners and join. Have your vin handy. Once you join you will see every service event the car has seen at an authorized dealer. I bet all the car has seen is dealer oil changes.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The belt broke because the pump seized (maybe just temporarily under load). Had it happen twice over the years on our '96 RAV4 but unfortunately that also took out the internal timing belt which completely bricked the car; not good on a desolate road with a very pregnant wife. 20 years later, I STILL hear about that one....... :cautious:

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Buy the pump, the three way valve, water pump belt tensioner (yes tensioner) and SLLC coolant from Toyota or OEM only. If you don't trash the belt tensioner removing it you can return the new one. How-To's are on PC (Patrick has done a very good one. Or Youtube.) Other useful tools are the Lisle Spill Free Funnel and an Airlift if you have or have access to an air compressor. As has been said the key is bleeding the system. Everything else is straight forward.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not that experienced with Toyota water pumps, but have replaced a few on Volvos. My policy is always to get OEM or genuine water pump. The price difference is way less than having to redo the job. I have the same policy on the brake components. At least on a Volvo the genuine brake components work so much better.

I would avoid using a non-Toyota water pump.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On gen 2 Prius quality aftermarket (i.e. not the cheapest) aftermarket ones seem to work fine. Just get the one that comes with the metal gasket. It’s a lot easier to install, less likely to leak, and that’s what factory used.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which after market brand does Toyota use?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota OEM water pumps seem to be the same as the Aisin pumps

Raytheeagle likes this.