1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule Raceway 2/3 or Raceway Platform 2 on Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ChipL, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many thanks to forum members that posted links to discussions here on trunk mount car racks. They were helpful, but hoping to find members here that are using any of the above racks on a Prius Gen III.

Getting ready to get a couple of comfort style bikes. For my needs and desires, a trunk mount would work best for me. To that end I like the lock features of the Thule Raceway racks.

The Raceway Platform is of interest since the bikes don't have a straight bar across the top of the bike.

One of the questions I have for those that have used the Thule Raceway on the Gen IIIs, is it possible to position to open the trunk with the bikes off the mount?

Thanks for the help....

2. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A quick review of the Thule Raceway 2 on Gen III

Lots of views to this thread, but no answers - so I decided to take the plunge and get the Thule Raceway 2 trunk rack for my new 2012 Pruis. Still on the fence about the Thule Raceway Platform - but have one on order that the bike shop and will keep the one I am happiest with.

As many reviews of the Raceway 2 or Raceway 3 elsewhere have stated; it is very easy to setup. What I found is that the Thule fit guide for the Gen III Prius would have had the top portion resting on the spoiler if you followed the directions about having the bottom portion resting at the bottom of the trunk lid. I opted to rest the top portion of the rack on the rear window, just forward of the spoiler and let the bottom rest where it may. The fit was good this way.

I have no doubts that this rack will stay put the way I installed it. Still have a reasonable view out the back window without the bikes installed (bikes aren't to be ready till tonight or tomorrow).

In answer to my own question; with the Raceway 2 at least the rear hatch can be opened. Not sure with the extra weight I would leave it up unassisted. Have concerns that doing so will cause the struts to fail in the VERY long term.

**Update - tried fitting two hybrid/comfort style bikes this evening. They would not fit without the extra cost mounting bar. Will check to see if the Raceway 3 will work.

Attached Files:

3. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hitch mount seems like a cleaner easier mount

4. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Definitely ... those trunk mount bike racks put incredible stress on the hatch.

Hope it works OK.

REV

5. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got the Raceway 3, liking it very much, very sturdy, fits very nicely and doesn't move a bit. Take a look at the pics in the link below. I havn't tried opening the trunk but see no reason why you couldn't.
    I wanted to get the 2 but the bike shop had the 2011 3 on displa and it was cheaper than the 2012 2, so no brainer. So far carried 2 bikes on 60mi roundtrip with no issues.
    Top rests on glass, bottom next to the license plate. I put some protective film (actually a tablet PC screen protector) on the spots next to the license plate, will hzve to see how that works out.

PriusChat Forums - joachimz's Album: 2012 II seaglass pearl + Thule raceway 3

1 person likes this.
  6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For those of us that don't want the expense of adding a hitch and have concerns about how low the Prius sits to the road, truck racks fit a need.

So far I haven't read about the stress trunk mounts give to Prius hatches in general. The only negative is dimpling of the bumper with the Thule Raceway's - but this is due to improper mounting.

Found that the Raceway 2 9001 was two small for my style of bikes in our household. Waiting on the Raceway 9003 Platform to come in. If I don't like that one, I will be doing the Raceway 3 9002.

BTW thanks for the tip about using a screen protector to protect the finish of the bottom of the trunk lid.

7. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Curt hitch was $89 shipped from Amazon and took me 20 minutes to install. I can now use ANY bike rack, a cargo hauler on the hitch (which is FAR better than putting stuff on top of the car on roofracks), AND I can tow my small landscape trailer when needed a few times a year.

The hitch mounted bike carriers are FAR more sturdy and won't ever damage your car over the long run. The difference in ground clearance is neglible ... I've never touched mine on anything, and having the hitch hauler availability is great.

REV

8. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1. I used the hatch mount. It was scarier with just one bike

Btw, what are you dragging to bottom out the hitch? Rosie?

9. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used one many years ago .... never again. If you use it regularly, it's only a matter of time before it falls off with your bikes or damages your car, either by the carrier itself, or the bikes moving around and damaging the car, and you're always worried about it when you're driving.

There is no way a trailer hitch could scrape ... I can stand on my hitch and the bumper only goes down about an inch, and I weigh 250. The Prius has so little overhang that I can't imagine hitting it on anything if you're on a road type environment.

REV

10. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why the hate here? If you prefer a towbar mount, then good for you. Hatch mount isn't for me given the rear hatch is made out of aluminium, I'd be more weary to load anything heavy against it.

Actually don't like rear mount given it blocks the tail lights (I realise there are light boards you can buy) and the moment you place on the bike unless it's those platform type of carriers which is the only choice for CF bikes.

So I stick mine on the roof. Never had problems forgetting they are up there. Kind of hard to forget when you're in your knicks and jersey that you're going riding.

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Review of the Thule Raceway Platform on Gen III

As some reviews else where have said, this is a heavier unit than the Raceway 2 or 3 models. Not so much to be a killer for me. Much prefer the tray mounting than the hanging mount for our style of bicycles.

The negative over the Raceway 2 that I tested is that the trunk lid won't stay up with it mounted. Not an issue for me really in the end.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An update on the Thule Raceway Platform rack

Just did the first road trip last weekend with the Thule Raceway Platform rack. After over 300 miles r/t, I found the rack very sound and easy to use. No dents on the lower half of the trunk lid (where the license plate is), or scratches (I made sure to clean the area first).

13. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Speak for yourself.
    The *crunch*snap* of your frame as you drive into your garage is a horrible sound to behold. :eek: :(

Hitch mount for me this time.

14. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Question on the hooks on the Thule rack: are they plastic coated to prevent scratching the paint on the rear hatch?

15. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All parts of the rack are rubber coated to prevent scratches.

16. Ron_Lamb

Ron_Lamb New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have any tips about to apply the screen protector to the area around the license plates?
    Would you be able to tell me how you applied the screen protector to the area around the license plate? Just like with putting it on a tablet or special procedure?

Ron