1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule T2, Yakima HookUp, Saris Cycle-On with Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by onree, Feb 4, 2007.

1. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 2 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]399184[/snapback]</div>
    The Performance rack (XPORT Flatbed 2 bike hitch rack) I recently purchased and included the link to supports the bikes primarily by the wheels. The frame is contacted only to stabilize the bike and keep the wheels from moving out of the wheel trays. If you don't even want that frame contact then I guess you'll want a different rack.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Mar 2 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]399253[/snapback]</div>
    I'll give you feedback on the Performance XPORT flatbed rack once the snow melts off the trails and it's not a mud fest.

I know that Performance buys their racks from other manufacturers and puts their name on them and the flatbed rack does look identical to the SportRack 2EZ. I'll bet that SportRack makes the flatbed rack for Performance. Do you know how the price compares? I didn't see a price on the SportRack website.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Mar 2 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]399338[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's what I meant - frame contact. I realize that the bike is actually supported by the wheels. With a thin-walled carbon bike, having vibrating frame contact can be a disaster as the gel coat is slowly eroded. The price of high-end gear is a gift that keeps on giving. ;)

3. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Mar 2 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]399338[/snapback]</div>
    Were you planning to use it w/ a 2" or 1 1/4" hitch? (I like that it has an adapter for 2" hitches.)

I saw the Sportrack at etrailer.com, for $149.95. I think it's a little bit cheaper at Performance Bike if you use one of the 10% coupons (and take advantage of free shipping), but places like etrailer and rackoutfitters also have a lock and cable available, and etrailer has $.99 shipping. By the way, I went through e-trailer for the Curt hitch -- and they were great!

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, my new HookUp is supposed to arrive this weekend. We'll see!

In the meantime, I'm going to sell my Yakima Roc4. I'll list it in the sale section after the weekend, but here's the page I just made:
    http://evnut.com/prius_yakima_roc4.htm

I'll make a great price to somebody who's local (Between SF and Sacramento).

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Whichever rack you choose, be sure to secure the bikes to the rack. For the past two years I have seen bikes laying on the Hollywood Freeway, while headed to the LA Marathon bike tour. Last year it was a silver mtn bike in the fast lane. It didn't look like it had been hit, or that anybody stopped to look for it. Yesterday, there was some sort of mangled bike debris in the 3rd lane, and a couple of cars and a tow truck on the right. Maybe its the early morning rush, or whatever, but be sure the bikes are tied on securely, for the bike's safety, as well as other motorists. I bought the Prius so I could keep my bike nice and secure in the rear hatch. My other car needs a rack, and I never feel that secure, even double and triple checking the bike and rack.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Mar 5 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]400499[/snapback]</div>
    All good points, of course! I put my bike inside whenever possible as well. But when I take the bike AND my family, there's no choice but to carry it outside. The safest place to keep your bike is under your butt! I don't like DRIVING my bicycle anywhere - but sometimes it is the only way to fit a ride in.

7. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Mar 2 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]399253[/snapback]</div>

Okay, so I opted for the cheaper route -- the Sportrack 2EZ -- and can now answer my own questions:

- Yes it fits female-style bikes fine.
    - Hatch access is not perfect. You can get the hatch open but, at least with my hybrid-type bikes with big handlebars, the hatch will not open all the way.
    - The rack extends back maybe 3, 4 feet? I didn't measure it. You can leave it on but just have to be careful when backing up.

Some extra notes: I chose it because it was lighter, cheaper, and I'm not such an avid cyclist yet that I can justify the extra cost. Getting bikes on and off takes about a minute, but the little knobs and tension blocks that loosen and tighten the various hooks and wheel trays are not the easiest to use. Also, there is still a bit of wobble in the hitch if you use the locking pin (sold separately) -- and note that the lock on the locking hitch pin does not fit if you use a Curt hitch. Don't know if it will work with the Coastal.

For the price, I'm reasonably happy, but have yet to see how it performs on a longer trip (I just took the bikes to the shop for a tune-up). It seems to wobble just a bit, but perhaps the regular non-locking pin will do better.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, and I've had my Hookup for a couple of weeks now. Loading and holding of the bikes could not be better. The weight, however, is insane. The thing alone weighs more than any three bikes that I own. Then add a couple of bikes, and :eek: that's a lot of weight to dangle out the back! Honestly the weight is my only concern. I love how it centers the bikes behind the car, and keeps them solidly in place without touching ANYTHING but the tires. It really is a matter of a few seconds total to load or unload two bikes. Could not be more simple and more secure.

I just ordered a SportsRig trailer that I'll customize a bit. I will likely be using that with some fork-mount units, and selling the Yakima Hookup.

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anybody know how much the Xport rack weighs? And do you have to use an adapter sleeve for the 1-1/4 hitch, or for the 2" hitch?

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 20 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]409395[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how much the XPort flatbed rack weighs as I decided to return it to Performance based on it not being as sturdy and easy to use as I wanted. I ended up purchasing a used Thule T2 for not much more cost then the Xport rack and it is a much higher quality. The Thule T2 weighs 55 lbs and I figured even if it's 15-20 lbs more then the Xport I'd rather have a solid rack and easy loading of the bikes. I'm planning on having my Coastal receiver reinforced to decrease the deflection due to the cantilever design.

I do know that the Xport rack was based around a 1.25" receiver and when used with a 2" receiver there were 2 spacers bolted to the rack to increase the thickness.

12. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 20 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]409395[/snapback]</div>

I think you'll like the following helpful comparison between the three bike racks that started this thread. The Cycle-on comes in at 47 lbs, which is 4 lbs heavier than what you've already got (it was the lightest).

The Xport (aka the Sportrack) is about 30 lbs. The rack is designed for a 1 1/4" receiver, but there's a plastic adapter included for 2" hitches. It's also on sale right now at Performance Bike for $119 (and you can google for a coupon to take it even lower), but then remember to tack on maybe $20 shipping. I got mine (for more) at etrailer because I wanted the locking hardware, but that was probably a mistake since the locking pin doesn't fit the Curt hitch.

Just remember -- the rack is designed with a hook that pushes down on the top bar of the frame.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Mar 21 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]409739[/snapback]</div>
    Great find! Thanks for the pointer. Man... who'd have thought that this was the lightest one? Yikes. I'm gonna weigh mine to make sure it is accurate. I found a couple of inaccuracies in the review, but it was mostly good. The Yakima DOES come with the proper hex wrench for assembly (review says no tools) and they failed to mention that the Saris is the only one of the three that pivots the hold-down arm in the mid-section of the front wheel - this gives a straight pull down onto the wheel, not off-tangent like the other two.

I can confirm that the rear wheel strap is annoying - and in more ways than they mention. The strap sits in the way when you load, and it can be hard to cinch down (it slips on the last tooth). Getting it into the rigth slot is no problem as long as you know the "issue" there.

OK, just weighed it - 43 pounds exactly - same as they said in the review. The lower weight, coupled with the fact that it sits closer to the reciever means less torque. I guess I'd better keep this one! I do worry about all that weight on the little reciever tube though! Man.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, Folks... what about THELMA?
    http://www.cycleops.com/p-298-thelma.aspx

I don't see anybody having these in stock, and I see no reviews. They're cheaper and much lighter than the others. But Saris won't answer the phone!

My two big questions:

1. How the heck to you load the bike around that huge plastic scoop that goes around the rear of the front tire?
    2. Where do you buy it?

15. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seems pretty promising!

Looks brand new (e.g., the instruction manual is dated 03/07). Your best bet might be to call around some local bike shops that deal in Saris products?

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Apr 3 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]417393[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, it is new alright! And none of the Saris dealers in my area have ever heard of it. Oddly, I've driven past billboards with this thing advertised for the past couple of months. They're making a big deal of it - I hope they can pull it off. The Yakima Hookup takes about 10 seconds to load two bikes. Literally! They advertise "two minutes" for this one. It does seem a bit more complicated - but I sure do like the light weight part. I mean the weight savings alone accounds for one whole bike's weight! That's significant. I drove around with two bikes on my Hookup this weekend (28 pounds and 30 pounds respectively) and I definitely worried about my hitch (this was a type-1 hitch on my electric Rav - same rating as the one on my Prius). With just one bike on there it was just fine though. The leverage is what concerns me the most. Go over a bump and the outboard bike has a huge moment arm to torque the reciever tube.

I tried calling Saris all day long, and got a busy signal every time. Called after hours and got right through! I'll keep trying tomorrow.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This Thelma biz is driving me nuts! Saris doesn't know how I can buy them, and my dealer can't get any. Has ANYBODY found them for sale?

18. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 11 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]421315[/snapback]</div>
    Well, they're starting to show up on Froogle. RackOutfitters.com, for example, has a listing for them (but says "Out of Stock"). So maybe start there? It might be just a matter of time before they can get inventory to all these stores.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Apr 11 2007, 05:00 AM) [snapback]421411[/snapback]</div>
    Ha... yeah the bad news is that the whole reason RackOutfitters shows them as "out of stock" is because they were the only place that even listed them when I started looking. I called and asked about availablity (mostly because they didn't even list which hitch size they were "selling" - they checked with Saris, apologized, and changed the page to "out of stock."

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, folks. I just installed my new Thelma. Great rack! Save a few issues. :(

I think I can safely say that I have the first pictures of a Thelma on a Prius!

http://evnut.com/saris_thelma.htm