1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule vs. Yakima Roof Rack for 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jkl7, Jun 22, 2009.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Meticulous attention with the front worked great. No trouble there.

On the back, I didn't take enough time or bother to take the rollers off and start fresh. The shape of the roof tricked me into thinking I didn't need to. The extra vertical length (shown in my close-up photos) should have clued me in. Long story short, I have dimples in my rear now. ;) The metal is ever so slightly indented. Oh well.

Setup time, now that adjustments are complete, is about 10 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  2. btaylor

btaylor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I sure wish Toyota engineered better roof-rack mount capacity into the roof design of the Prius.

I have carried canoes, kayaks, skis, bikes, top boxes and the occasional construction lumber load without incident using the Thule systems on my Saabs, Jeeps and Subaru's over the last 25 years. It seems that the Prius is not very well set up to carry even light recreational equipment loads on the roof, and I have never liked the engineering of the wrap-around mounting clips (whether from Thule or Yakima) that fit between the roof surface and the door. I have previously seen weather seal problems emerge after continued use of that type of mounting clip...

3. JonathanK

JonathanK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my new Thule rack, but the instructions for the 2124 Fit Kit don't have the correct measurements for the 2010. Does anyone have these numbers?

Edit: I managed to get it on anyway, but I would still like the measurements if anyone has them. The bar spread seems pretty small, especially for carrying sea kayaks and no place for a bow tie-down. If someone has gone down this road already, please enlighten me.

Also, Rack & Road can install tracks on the roof (permanently, gulp!) and then put towers and bars on them. I cannot imagine wanting to alter my new Prius, and paying multiple hundreds of dollars to do it, but it might be better than what I am working with so far.

4. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my Yakima rack and King Cobra bike mount

The rack is installed but the bike mount seems to block the hatch. I need to figure something out because that is quite annoying.

Any ideas?

5. Papadeux

Papadeux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I received my Yakima rack and Hullraiser Aero for my 2010 Prius II. It fits perfectly! My 28lb Poke Boat fits perfectly and feels very secure, even without the front rear tiedowns. However I still use the tiedowns. I use the towing eyebolt from the tool kit in the front knock out cover. In the rear there are are two holes in heavy sheet metal to the left of the exhaust pipe. One hole is large and one small. The S-hook will fit either. I haven't had it on the car at speeds over 45mph yet, but will probably hit the highway soon. I bought my Yakima from The Rack Warehouse in Vermont. The delivery surprised me...ordered on a Friday and received it on Tuesday. And John1701a thanks for your help. Good luck to all.:)

6. anatooli

anatooli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi!
    I can´t find any dealer, who can send me roof racks for 2010 Prius with solar panels. Usually Yakima resellers do not ship to europe.
    My location is Finland and on next winter (in a one month) I must find roof racks for my cargobox.
    Can anyone help me to find same roof racks like john1701a has, but they fit with box?

anatooli

7. thorvald30

thorvald30 New Member

Model:
    V
    I am also waiting for a solution here in Europe. I know that Mont Blanc is working on a solution for the Prius with Solar Panel, and i guess that Thule is not far behind :) I realy hope that there will be a roof rack for my car soon, as it is getting closer and closer to skiing season here in Norway :)

I also wonder if anyone has tried to use a cargo box on top of the Yakima roof rack situated on a Prius with the solar panel???

8. anatooli

anatooli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

... and I did find :)

Thule
    KIT 1566, manual for 2009-- Solar Panel Prius

TH 750 (4)
    TH 1566
    TH 769
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you upload bigger pictures please?
    Can't see much

10. thorvald30

thorvald30 New Member

Model:
    V
    Hmmmm.....is this for the prius 2010 with solar roof? Why dosent Thule have this set on their internetpages?

11. anatooli

anatooli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you want, I can send you manual (PDF), wich came with roof rack. (KIT 1566 Toyota Prius, 5-dr Hatchback, 09-)
    You can see some of the manual in one of those pictures.
    Send the kit number to thule helpdesk etc. and ask how it is.
    I just install those racks (to solar panel Prius) and they do not touch the solar panel and roof window. Manual shows that you are not be able to open the roof window, when roof racks are on.

...if someone finds better solution, please let me know.
    Yakima racks seems to be impossible to get to Finland.

Wellcome winter!

anatooli

12. thorvald30

thorvald30 New Member

Model:
    V
    Sound great! And yes thank you, i would love to have the manual :)

Now i just need some new skies :)

13. anatooli

anatooli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can´t find your puplic email for the email and attached pdf
    Send email to anatoolibar ät gmail dot com

14. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just received an email from Thule Australia confirming that their roof racks can be used with the solar roof panel, using the 1566 Fit Kit.

1 person likes this.
  15. thorvald30

thorvald30 New Member

Model:
    V

Okay....but have Toyota said anything regarding weight limitations regarding the solar roof? I guess that the roof dosent have the same weight capacity as the model without solarpanel????

16. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good point. I sent an email inquiry to Toyota for information on the roof's load carrying capacity. I got a reply that there's no spec :confused: I don't think I remembered to specify which roof, but my interest was for the non-solar roof on my car.

17. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how the solar roof matters.
    The roof bar pads don't touch the solar roof - they sit on the roof chassis/frame (which I assume is the same for the Prius with & without solar roof).

Thule state a maximum load capacity of 50kg (which is less than 75kg that the bars are rated to). This reduced capacity must be due to the roof capacity????

You cannot operate the moonroof (sunroof) with the roofbars on. You should be able to download the fitting instructions from Thule's website - I was able to for the Australian website :)

18. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota also say you cannot tow anything, but I am waiting delivery of a towbar (hitch) from the United States into Australia. The towbar is purpose made for 2010 Prius.

I will use this towbar to mount a 'T' pole. This 'T' pole together with the Thule roof bars provides 3 support points.

The purpose is to carry my 5.5 metre long hanglider!!!!! :p:p:p:p

I will post pictures once it is all installed.

19. sparkle-415

sparkle-415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, I just bought a 2010 Prius with a solar roof. Did you ever find a way to get a roof rack on? Can you still open the sunroof when it's attached?

20. anatooli

anatooli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you look my posts and pics earlier (Thule roof racks) you are NOT be able to open sunroof.
    But if another brand makes different racks...maybe?