1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thump - Thump - Thump

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yeldogt, Jul 15, 2012.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Was standing in the driveway when someone was leaving in the Prius -- All of a sudden three or four thumps -- I guess when the ICE started -- sounded just like a slapping belt ... but no belts correct? ...... this was loud.

Any ideas?

We shut it off and restarted -- AC on and off ...... nothing ......... car ran fine on a trip of about 200 miles -- never another sound? I'm going to start it this evening -- it has been sitting since Friday evening -- not sure what to look for.

This did not sound like any kind of valve noise -- nothing squealing.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the knock-club. Sounds like the intake manifold condensation problem.

3. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's surprising. It usually happens for most people in cold weather. What was the outside temperature?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That does not seem to be the case... people have had it happen in all kinds of temps. I suspect high humidity conditions.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It has been very hot - not overly humid -- car was sitting since the day before ........this start was about 1pm in the afternoon.

I certainly have spotted posts regarding the knock problem -- This is a late 2011 -- I believe it was a November build ......... I thought they fixed the problem earlier.

If this is what it is I understand why people get concerned.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You sure it wasn't the ABS, VSC, TRCT doing a self check?

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure what it was -- but I've never heard a notice like that on other cars with those systems. It is now due for the 10k service -- So I will mention it ... I'm hoping it will do it again.

8. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only time I got knocking is when the outside temp was at or below freezing. Of course, Colorado is much lower humidity than other parts of the country.