1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thunk/Popping Noise after Strut Replacement: CV?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TBAP, Jul 25, 2018.

1. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all. I’ve lurked on here for a few years to get my answers, but now I’ve got one I don’t know about.

I replaced the front struts (completely new full assemblies) on my 2011 a few weeks ago. During installation, the driver side half axle came out a little inboard at the transmission and had to be worked back in (per a great thread on these boards). Boot remained connected at both ends, no breaks/damage I could see. At about 80 miles of driving after the job, I started hearing an intermittent pop or thunk that seems to be coming from the front driver’s side. It’s not constant: might thunk once, might thunk a few times when going over bumps and turning (mostly left turns but will do on right sometimes). Steadily getting more frequent since. Replaced the sway bar bushings, new linkages: same noise. Took it in to a mechanic who said one or both of the coils on the new assemblies were hitting the struts. Took those off and replaced with a new pair of KYB struts (again, full assemblies, not playing with compressing those coils!). Rides great, but again, same noise. Was thinking one or both of the axles inboard at the transmission, but still not seeing any breaks in the boots. They definitely look old/worn at the inboard ends, but seem intact. Any way to know/check without just replacing? Anything else I should look at first? Seems kind of odd to me that one or both would just go right after the new struts. Was the drivers side one coming out during the job a red flag? Thanks in advance, folks.

2. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am thinking it's just suspension clunks and thunks instead of the drive axles? CV joint noise can be heard during turns and is clicking type of noise.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, definitely not a clicking sound. Thanks, RMB.

RMB likes this.
  5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    did you replace the sway links too?

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed stabilizer bar links with my new struts from Advance auto and after reading bad reviews I bought one and installed it and it made a noise. I bought one from Amazon and the noise went away.

I would also put a wrench on every bolt removed and make sure everything is tight.

Fostel, RMB and William Redoubt like this.
  7. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did. Same noise before and after.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did you compare the KYB to the old OE ? did you do the top mount? It's an odd situation .... with the cost of the whole assembly at almost $300 .. I'm wondering why you went that route? The strut is about $100. I'm thinking my indie could have done the whole job for under the cost of the two struts? Im not seeing the Prius having a spring issue.

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a car years ago that made a popping noise when it was cold. After a couple of trips to the dealer I would tell them it only does it when it is cold and in my driveway not out on the road. So what do they do for a test drive, jump in it and take it out on the highway. The third time I took it back (winter) the service writer said lets leave it in the lot and let it cool down and then they finally head the popping sound. Just so happened the body shop guy was walking by and he said, send it over to the body shop. They did some welding on the unibody that the robots missed, I guess robots have Mondays too. It fixed the car. This may not be the fix for your car but it was pretty weird, mine was a new car.

TBAP and RMB like this.
  10. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Top mounts were same (far as I can tell) on both. I had a good discount on top of a sale and got the KYB completed set of two for a little over $300 total.

11. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm resurrecting this zombie: I gave in and took it to a mechanic who swore up and down that it had to be a bad strut mount. This was the second new complete strut since the noise started, but, okay, could happen I guess. It was under warranty, so I shipped it back, got a refund, tracked down another KYB from a different retailer and slapped it on: same clunk over bumps and some turns.

This sound only started very shortly after replacing the struts for the first time at 150K miles. Have now replaced with three new struts since from three different retailers: one Unity, then two KYB, same noise. So, pretty confident it's not the strut or mount. This is the driver side only. I changed both at the same time, but the passenger side has never given me any issue. Then replaced the linkage on each side, new sway bar bushings...noise continued. I've been holding off on doing the alignment until I had this sorted, but should I go ahead and do it and see if that makes a difference? Driving, I'm not feeling any significant alignment issues. Any thoughts?

12. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I highly doubt that it is the alignment.

Your best bet is to take off the driver side axle and have it rebuilt or replaced with an Oem axle.

This will be a perfect excuse to run a CVT fluid flush while you are at it too!

iPhone ?

#12 RightOnTime, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Checked your ball joints?

Fostel likes this.
  14. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any suggestions about who I might check with to have it rebuilt? Only things around me are chain mechanics and I have no idea if they do part rebuilds like a local, non-franchise mechanic. If I just buy a new one, what's a good quality brand?

Definitely going to do the trans fluid flush while I'm at it. Have the parts priced now. Thanks for that!

Visually, they look old, but fine. Though, I'm thinking about just replacing them anyway due to the mileage and opportunity while I've got everything apart already. What's a good, quality brand for replacement?

Fostel likes this.
  15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried tightening the center nut on the strut assembly?

Fostel, ASRDogman and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Kambo

Kambo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Bro I am having thr Exact Issue with my car after doing struts and I did rotors and pads as well so I am super confused what this noise is but it is very similair to your situation and also installed KYB struts but I used old mount and spring did you ever figure out what it was causing the noise to occur ?!

17. TBAP

TBAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi. I gave up (again) and took it to another mechanic who figured it out and fixed it. It was the linkage on either the driver or passenger side. I thought I’d tightened them to spec, but apparently not. They tightened them real quick and that solved it. $45. I hope it’s that simple for you, too.

Fostel likes this.