1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tick noise by dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius that I don't have too much familiarity with, but I have been replacing parts to make it "good as new". My latest obsession is a ticking noise that comes from the dash area. Its trivial compared to the usual posts here, but noises that aren't supposed to be there drive me nuts.

Anyone know of any typical dash related noises that come from a Prius body flexing. The car definitely had front end damage and the repairs were not first rate. The noise 'tick" happens every now and then and definitly sounds like its under the dash by the windshield. I could either ignore at this point or start breaking down the dash beyond removing the glove boxes which didn't effect the noise.

The radio is aftermarket so that is suspect.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be one of the ventilation servos, mine sounded like cellophane crinkling. Look vertical from the pedals along the firewall.

Frontporch likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am familiar with the servo scratching sound and this is more of a tap noise that sounds like a glove box that doesn't latch tightly and has a rattle. That's not the issue but I suspect maybe some work was done and clips may have been broken... not sure and may not dig too deeply

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the question to always ask is what changes have you made lately. In this case I installed some KYB struts and it made the car a lot quieter, but was also the source of the ticking noise that I was hearing.

The solution was a suggestion by KYB and also the proper way to install struts, so I learned.

When I initially installed the quick struts, I passed the struts' upper studs through the holes in the strut tower and torqued the nuts in the air. I cannot remember if I tightened those with only the weight of the struts or if the strut might also have been connected to the knuckle by then. Either way, it effected how tight those nuts were on the strut and there was some play. Lesson learned.

I loosened the nuts a few threads while the car was in the air, let it back down to the ground and torqued them there. Might have been just as well to torque them on the ground without lifting the vehicle, but KYB suggested that approach.