1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ticket for tinted tail lights, and a call for help!!

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Native2PS, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have been driving with tinted tail lights on different cars for over 10 years, about 500k total miles, and for the first time, I was pulled over for tinted tail lights the other day!! I understand that its illegal, but I see it as a fluke that I got caught. So, to my fellow modders out there who understand that what we do comes at a risk sometimes, I am asking for help!! I live in Southern California, in the Palm Springs area, and I work out in the San Bernardino/Riverside area every day. Anyone out there willing to let me borrow your stock tail lights for about 30 minutes so I can go get the ticket signed off? That would save me some $$ since the ticket will only cost me $25 if its signed off. The tail lights are easy to remove, just two bolts, I carry the tools with me, and I will make it very fast, I can meet you somewhere, drive to the closest police station, have it signed off, and put your lights back on in no time! Well, I would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to help. I can drive pretty much anywhere in the IE if anyone is out there. Thanks in advance for anyones help!!!

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wish I lived close. I'd help.

3. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You're assuming they'll want to give them back after you get your tickie signed off, j/k, haha! Good luck, I'd help you out as well if I lived closer (NorCal here).

4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wish I could help also....

5. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You knew it was illegal.....and yet you complain you got a ticket......just pay the ticket

xpcman likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And keep paying each time you make your car illegal.

7. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He's not complaining as he understood and assumed the risk. Those of us that mod live by the "pay to play" motto and it is common for like-minded modders or enthusiasts to support eachother out. In Calif fix it tickets are cheap but to keep a mod vs fixing will generally cost you in excess of $150...it's a choice we make....no disagreement there.

I personally hope he can find someone to help out. Cops out here generally don't go after mod violations unless you are pulled over for something else....so if it was strictly for the mod it is a fluke.

8. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see any complaining in this thread at all... :cool:

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...but if you are going to go with the bravado that you are living with the "pay to play" motto, then you can't complain about having to "pay" when you get caught playing at something that is illegal.

Really I'm for personal freedoms, but the routine cry of "I've gotten away with this for years!" and/or "Everyone else is doing it and not getting caught" simply doesn't fly.

I recently got a speeding ticket, and while I think the violation was little more than practiced revenue creation, you know what I did? I paid to play.

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No sympathy at all.

11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    come on guys, this thread isnt about your feelings toward to OP and the tinted tail lights. he clearly stated that understood what he was doing when he tinted the lights. he simply doesnt want to pay the money because its honestly a waste since he wasnt doing anything dangerous. i would gladly help the OP if i was around there.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Excuse me I thought he was obscuring his safety equipment to make a fashion statement. If so, he is raising everyone around him chances of having an accident.

I have a great deal of sympathy, for his innocent victims, and hope it keeps costing him until he comes to his senses.

Surely, he can find a fashion statement which does not involve defeating his safety equipment.

TheyCmeNow, alekska and xpcman like this.
  13. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    there isnt much you can do to a car that is legal. putting tints is ticketable. if you had a strict officer, you could even get tickets on HIDs if you have them.

not sure in other states, but in NY, we have a saying, that if a cop wanted to, he would find something to give you a ticket for, even in a new car, right off the dealership floor.

14. Native2PS

Native2PS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    not complaining at all, just asking for help!

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This isn't abstract theory.

Tints on taillights make them less visible.

Which results in collisions. Unnecessary collisions.

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The level of tint he has on his tail lights doesn't obscure anything. Our lights are plenty bright. He never complained. He already said he would pay the ticket. WTH... try reading.

jonpk and BCP like this.
  17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you don't want to help, don't help... it's as simple as that. The anger and hatred isn't necessary.

jonpk likes this.
  18. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you are going to Pay to Play, then buy a new set of tail lights, swap back when you are are done.

ztanos likes this.
  19. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed, from this point forward the focus on this thread really is finding someone with a Prius C that is willing and able to help the OP.

I can respect that we all have our opinions about modifications, safety, etc, and that can be taken to another thread for further disucssion, but generally those types of disucssions get into banter and ultimately end up pointless.

So back on topic, OP is looking for someone that is willing to help him get his ticket signed off that lives in Southern California.

20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Help me out, please, I'm doing something illegal and would like to borrow your stock parts so I can lie and tell them that I'm legal now".

No sympathy.

No anger and hatred--bafflement is more like it.