1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

@$%@$%^ Ticket in Orange County

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bshef, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

And how many relevant court appearances have you made since '92?

Then again, 90% of people you're up against are idiots anyway, either intimated by unfamiliarity, or not prepared to a high enough degree... :lol: We've all seen COPS, all they show are the idiots getting busted. To me, a far more interesting version would be one where defendants actually win, or get away, but, of course, it's not too morally viable to broadcast that sort of thing...

Over the last 6 years, I'm batting about a 75% chance of winning anything I get busted for...

...and getting better all the time.

You know what they say, aside from the lawyers, there's only one other demographic that knows as much about the law...

:ph34r:

2. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, yes, Squid, the 'as long as I don't get caught, whatever I do isn't really wrong' philosophy.

If I believed I was innocent, believe it: I would be in there with the best of them, of course! Otherwise, MAN UP!

3. Mystery Squid

MAN UP? :lol:

Let the cop "man up" and get his sh*t together. ;)

You still haven't really addressed whether or not you think the State would actually extend you the same courtesy if they were wrong in a situation where they accuse you of something or other. Think the state is going to "MAN UP" and risk lawsuits? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but I don't just let other people say I'm guilty without making them prove it.

And I'm sure you'll love this one:

I only apply this philosphy to anything other than friends or loved ones, personal business deals. ;)

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

So are we supposed to turn ourselves in if we don't get caught? What if the judge dismissed our ticket, should we still pay it?

5. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, if I knew I was guilty, I wouldn't even fight the citation, I would, and have, just paid the fine. So a judge dismissing it isn't very likely.

To be honest, I had an attitude somewhat like Squid's when I was younger (no, that is NOT intended to call Squid immature or anything like that). I like to think I am a little more enlightened now. There is only one 'right thing' to do, however much you are able to rationalize. I guess maybe I am just trying to be the person my little boy thinks I am. [music swells, focus blurs, cue voice-over listing side effects]

PS

I know YOU"LL love this: I don't even cheat on my taxes, nor do I mind paying them!

6. Mystery Squid

That's nice and all, but, with all due respect, that ain't the way the world works when it comes to traffic citations, and a lot of other situations. I would not let anyone simply accuse me of being guilty unless they could prove it. IMHO, it's setting you up to get, well, raped. Has it ever occurred to you there are times when the cop is wrong? Or, the picture they painted wasn't quite right? Will you actually let yourself get accused of something or other simply because someone else says so? To me, it's also a matter of self-worth and respect. Never, ever, let anyone accuse you without being able to back it up to the HIGHEST degree.

7. Mystery Squid

Neither do I...

...and not one thing is inflated on my resume either. :D

8. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Again, OF COURSE IF I THINK THE COP IS WRONG I WILL FIGHT IT. Are you trying to say that because you get pulled over for a rolling stop, you suddenly have the inability to remember whether or not YOU DID IT? You automatically have to go to court and make the court prove it to decide whether you are guilty? Yes, I know that you are not *legally* guilty until conviction, which you can try to fight it, but that doesn't mean OJ didn't actually DO IT! See my point? My point is that if I know I am guilty, that's good enough for me. I don't need to waste time and money that the municipality doesn't have to waste jumping through hoops.
    I do understand what you are saying, the burden of proof is on them, if you choose to make them prove it. If I know I am guilty, I don't. I think we are just talking on parallel tracks.

On the resume note, did you see the latest? Radio Shack CEO has no verifiable degrees, despite his resume? I have to put up with random drug testing, but they don't even make a couple of phone calls to verify their freakin' CEO's credentials? Weird. Give him an A for balls, though I guess!

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But *you* know you're guilty.

Avoiding responsibility for an act *you* know you're guilty of puts you in the same company as Kenneth Rice, Jeffery Skilling, Ken Lay and Tom de Lay. Well, maybe not Tom since he can't conceive of ever being guilty of anything. (What a sad, petty, little man. Bullies are so pathetic.)

At least Randy "Duke" Cunningham saved the taxpayers some $ (finally), admitted his guilt and took his punishment like a man.

Notice I have made every effort NOT to make a Dick Cheney joke.

10. Mystery Squid

I tried to clear that up within prior posts, when it comes to stuff like traffic citations, I'll fight it all the way, because I believe that most traffic citations are simply for revenue generation, legalized extortion, if you will. The original poster mentioned something about no one being around, he wasn't endangering anybody, so he went. He likley posed no threat to anyone, and got a ticket for it, now his insurance will likely go up too. Is that fair? No.

Yes, I know, who am I do decide, who am I to make that judgment call. Well, I do. Remember, if the law said you should jump off a bridge, would you do it? Again, I know that traffic citations are mostly revenue generators, nothing more, and I do not feel I should be penalized for ridiculous citations simply because "the law is the law", or because Joe-Schmo cop says so. On top of that, I've seen how some cops treat people, I've witnessed A LOT of their tactics, which are FAR less ethical than anything I've ever done. Through my experience over the years, I'd say 20% of cops are unethical a-holes who WILL lie, cheat, attempt to intimidate, and anything else just to bust someone for something. I have even caught a cop LYING at an appeal hearing. If there's one thing a cop can't stand, is being made to look like a fool in front of a Judge (particularly when their fellow officers are waiting in the wings), for that reason alone some will try almost ANYTHING to avoid the embarassment.

This is pretty much why I run everything up the flagpole, so to speak.

Now, obviously, when it comes to family members, loved ones, personal business deals, etc., I own up. I think there's a time and place to selectively apply such tactics, far more importantly though, the USE of these tactics, should be guided by ethical behavior, THIS is where the men you listed above have failed.

11. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it's all about the cell phone. A couple years ago, I was stopped at a red light, and when traffic started moving again, the woman who had been stopped in the lane to my left and most of a car length behind me drove straight into my driver's side door. The first thing she said (after the exchange of "are you okay"s) was that she had been talking on the phone and hadn't seen me.

(The story has a happy ending -- no one was hurt, the other driver was insured and nice enough to admit that the accident was her fault, and my then-8-year-old Saturn looked better after it was fixed than it had before the accident).

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So if you look down at your speedometer and see you are traveling over the speed limit you're going to turn yourself in, right? After all why do you need to have a cop give you a citation to be a man?

We're talking legally guilty aren't we? You're innocent until PROVEN guilty.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fortunately, the design of the Prius is such that it's easy to remain aware of how fast you're driving.

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume you are implying you never ever go over the speed limit. If you are, I suggest you don't use that as a defense if you are wrongly accused of speeding.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The State is evil. We are agreed on that. But does that excuse reckless driving? And in most jurisdictions, the traffic cops are consciencious about doing their job properly. The courts exist so that people who honestly feel they are innocent can have a place to be heard. But when you bring frivolous cases, or try to worm out of something you're really guilty of, you help to bog down the system and make it less effective, and in doing so, you make the streets less safe because it becomes harder to punish reckless drivers.

I am probably one of the most skeptical people you're going to find when it comes to the law and the so-called justice system. But traffic law is one of the few areas when I say that the law is there to protect us, and you make yourself and all of us less safe when you undermine it.

16. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all the suggestions, comments, opinions.

I really have no concrete recollection if I came to a complete stop before I turned right at this red light. Should I admit this?.....NO.......I am also unaware of the cops vantage point where he alledgedly witnessed this heinous act of willful neglect. I do know he was not directly behind me. I assume he was perpendicular to me on my left, sitting parked in his vehicle observing the intersection while looking westerly directly into the sun @ 3:30pm. 3 days later I observed a cruiser parked in this same mentioned spot.

Should I "Man up"?......wth does this have to do with being a man? How bout "should I tuck tail, lay down, roll over and pee uncontrollably". pfffft. Peeps forget about Quotas? Corrupt politicians, city revenues, etc, etc,.....

Bottom line for me is......Costa Mesa is trying to reach deep into my pocket and pull out about 4 C notes and then open the door for my insurance Co. to get a little fatter.

This isn't relevant in court....but.......I drive a fricken Prius........I rarely travel over 37 mph stop light to stop light.......I don't have a tainted vehicular record.......I didn't cut anyone off......no persons were in the Xwalk.......
    I don't know what , why this guy was Zeroed in on my car. Unless he was tasked with watching this particular right turn lane for violators.......
    He asked me if I knew "why" I was pulled over....No......"you completely ran through that red light back there"........is that different then.....you didn't come to a 100% complete stop before turning right at a red light? I think there is a difference!

Here again, I really don't know if I did come to a complete stop.....although I would like to see him "prove" that I didn't.........The only proof imo would be video.

17. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh Puhleeeeese.....the ones bogging down the system are the lawyers.....and the politicians.
    Reckless driving?.... Who is allowing cell phones to be used while operating a vehicle? Imo, this is a big reason peeps don't pay attention and are reckless while driving.
    So, I need to sacrafice my money so that the real reckless drivers are dealt with appropirately? I am going to plead my case......I am going to be responsible to my family by standing up for my rights, protecting my capital. Burden of proof is on the State.

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't agree the State is evil. The cops give tickets based on quotas sometimes so you can't use the argument that they are somehow justified all the time to give a ticket. You are using the term "reckless driving" out of context. Drifting through a red light while making a right turn with no traffic around is not reckless. We had van cams here for awhile that would ticket you for a few mph over the speed limit. It caused more traffic problems because any time someone saw a white van on the side of the road they would slam on their brakes. The state ended the program because of so many complaints from all the "guilty" and innocent drivers.

We have click it or ticket campaigns every so often. What could be wrong with that? Guess where the cops concentrate. At the airport where you are being rushed to get moving by the security after picking someone up. You jump in the car, get going and before you buckle up you're pulled over. Great source of revenue.

19. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

My beef is that it is simply impossible to drive safely in Los Angeles and not violate any laws. For about a year, I was vehement about stopping at stop signs when making a right turn, having been given a ticket for a 5mph rolling stop. I got rear-ended twice, once chewed out by the offender who yelled, "whaddaya stopping for? There's nobody there!"

Choice of who to cite is arbitrary at best, predatory at worst. Driving safely means blending with the crowd, whether it is speeding or stopping. There isn't one piont on my commute where everyone is going the speed limit. I become a hazard by insisting on MY idea of safe driving if it isn't shared by others.

Your being cited for a minor infraction, while much worse examples likely abound, merely serves to give law enforcement concrete evidence that they are "doing something" in response to a probable citizen complaint, or a recent accident. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time, nothing more. As a result, you feel persecuted and want to fight back.

But it rarely works, and when it's happened to me, I rationalize it by realizing I have made worse mistakes and not been caught, so maybe it evens out. I pay, go to traffic school, and move on. I getg a ticket about once every 5-8 years, so it isn't a burden.

I blend in, be safe, avoid dangers, even if it is sometimes an infraction.

20. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great point noted.....
    the area I was ticketed was in front of a small Jr. College where I'm certain kids are always in a hurry and is an easy target for fillling a quota.....

Phil.....also great observations about driving in So Cal......Thanks!