1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ticking or clicking noise during braking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by glennonrp, Mar 13, 2017.

1. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Lately I'm noticing a ticking noise or clicking noise as I slow to a stop. I can only hear it at low speeds and it goes away when I take my foot off the brake pedal or when I stop. The ticking slows down as the car's velocity slows, too.

Is this normal? I have 12K miles on the car and have had it just over 12 months now.

iPhone ?

2. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out this thread: Clicking Sound on Regen Braking | PriusChat I am gonna have mine checked out at the dealer as mine started shortly after the 5K service

RCO and glennonrp like this.
  3. sillymike

sillymike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Took my 2017 Prius 4 touring in for 25k service today and I have the same noise. After 2 other attempts of them not being able hear the noise they finally did today. They are going to replace the front axle!!!! I am concerned they may not put everything back in place or it may cause future problems. I think its the brake actuator but they think its more serious.

4. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2016 that we are trying to figure out what the same noise is. Its only when going straight and braking at low speeds which could be up to 35 mph to 14 mph. If you put it neutral at the same speed and brake going straight it goes away which tells us it is high suspicious of a CV Axle joint. It sucks too because you cant reproduce the issue on the lift because geometry changes of everything with weight off. I ordered one for our vehicle doing the same clicking rapidly or if in the vehicle windows up sounds like a ratcheting noise like a playing card in bicycle wheel as one customer put it.

Marcius likes this.
  5. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The clicking ratcheting noise was the LF CV Axle. Ive seen posts that call out one or the other but it transmits through the wheel pretty good so if you here it slightly inside the cabin you or a friend should be able to hear it pretty well and more so from the outside of the vehicle almost right by or in the wheel area.

Rickyedger, RCO and sillymike like this.
  6. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As a follow up, my dealer replaced the axle a couple weeks ago to fix this. So far so good.

RCO likes this.
  7. Jesse R.

Jesse R. New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota technical service bulletin located below :) best of luck!

T-SB-0157-18

8. KoWee74

KoWee74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After one year struggling, problem solved. Because my car passed the 60k miles, I should pay 710 USD + labour cost for the shaft replacement, so first I tried to solve myself. I have removed the boot from the LF joint outer boot, and the grease was much softer than I saw in other cars. Actually it leaked out from the rubber boot. So I cleaned up the old grease, the joint washed perfectly and filled up with normal joint grease. The clicking sound gone, so far so good.