1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time for new tires. What says PriusChat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brentmeister, Jul 30, 2010.

1. yocase

yocase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For MN weather (lots of snow, ice, cold...), is there a better all around option than the WRg2's? We also have about 6 months of warm weather, so I don't want to sacrifice a ton of either tire life or MPG. The integrities survived 2 winters, but I do not want that tire again.

Again, thanks for the help!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the most common alternative for the WRg2 and bad weather is the Hankook H727 unless things have changed recently. Read up on other member's experiences here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...michalin-primacy-vs-hankook-optimo-tires.html

3. yocase

yocase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, thanks!, ok, after reading that review I think I am set on some Hankook Optimo H727's...anyone care to talk me out of it?

BTW...which ones? 195/65/R15 or 195/60/R15? Difference?

Last thing...I promise...since learning about this whole changing tire sizes thing I noticed I can get the Michelin Hydroedge tires in 195/60/R15. From what I'm gathering that just means the tire is slightly wider than 185, true? If so, how good/bad do these tires handle snow?

Thanks for putting up with an overly analytical person!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's my daughters car, so this isn't scientific, but she didn't notice any change. :rolleyes:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm working and only paying partial attention to work.:eek:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny thing is, heritage toyota in burlington vt put them on my daughters car, told her it was next best to sitching to winter tires. i think they were the same as the stock tires: poor.:(

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! I like you. You make me laugh. :)

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For those where a 'tire store' says Walmart on it, the Goodyear Viva Authority Fuel Max is a LRR tire for about $85.

9. yocase

yocase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, Hankook's it is then...195/65/15 or 195/60/15? That is the question which occupies our people.

I lied...talked to a few tire dealers in the area...Michelin Primacy rated WAY higher by guys who know their tires apparently...and I can actually get them cheaper than the Hankooks. Going wider though, of course :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what else is there?:D

11. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bridgestone's Ecopia line now offers an all-season tire, the Ecopia EP422. Tirerack has 185/15 size for $84 each (195's are $86). Since I'm getting replacement tires before winter, these are on my short list. Worth considering?

12. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I terms of better handling and longer tire tread life I would recommend Michelin Hydroedge. They are great when driving in the rain and come with a 90,000 mile warranty.

I bought a set of four at Costco for my 2008 Prius, with a $70.00 off rebate. I think I spend a total of about $480.00, including rebate, to have all four mounted. They also came with a tire protection plan & free lifetime rotation/balance with Costco.

The only thing extra I paid for was a four wheel alignment ($49.00) at a local tire shop. I kept them at a tire pressure of 40psi (Front) & 38psi (Rear), but there was an expected slight decrease in MPG (-2 miles).

I will definitely replace the original factory issued tires (Yokohama & Goodyear) on both of my 2010 Prius vehicles with Michelin Hydroedge after they reach about 50,000 miles.

13. yocase

yocase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not gonna lie, I was stuck on getting Michelin's from the start. I originally wanted to get the Hydroedge, but I found out they do not handle snow as well as I would like. Bridgestone is a big name, but every tire dealer, family member, and random friend has not had good things to say about Bridgestone tires. On the other hand, Michelin has a great name. I called a tire shop yesterday to have them order the Hankooks I mentioned previously. He talked me into the Michelin Primacy based on his track record with the company and how well Michelin engineers their tires. I'm actually spending less money on the Michelin's, so unless the mark-up is larger they are making less money off of me. I don't feel they would do that unless they knew it was a better tire? Maybe I have too much faith in people...

Anyway, I did look at the Bridgestone's you mentioned, worth considering for sure, but I'm still jumping for the Primacy's.

I'll update a month from now after my MT trip. Should at least get the feel for some mountain driving then...and hopefully not scratch up the little prius too much.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that this has been mentioned before, but tirerack has tested and provided test results for many of the tires discussed here When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

All these tests were done simultaneously (same conditions) using many different Prius cars.

The Ecopia tires lead some categories and are within 5% of the leading tire in every category they do not lead.

If I were buying tires now I would go with these. Due to the advice of people here, I am inflating my integrities to 44 psi and at 37 kmi they still have more than 10kmi left in them. Their wet braking performance is pretty scary however. Scary enough to have me wondering whether I should replace them regardless of treadwear...

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, the difference in wet and dry stopping distance for Ecopia EP100 is 4 feet but 35 feet for Integrity. Very scary indeed.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wouldn't increasing the pressure make the wet handling worse?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there a review of them anywhere?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And that is when the Integrity tires are new with 10/32" tread. What about when the tread is 4/32" or less - forget about being able to quickly stop in wet weather..

19. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It should, don't know if anyone has tested by how much. That would be another reason to ditch the integrities...

In that test they used Toyota's suggestions for psi.

20. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is how metric tire sizing works: P=Passenger car, 195=Tread width in millimeters, 60=Sidewall height as a percentage of tread width, R=Radial(a letter before the R is the speed rating), 15=Wheel diameter in inches.