1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time for new tires. What says PriusChat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brentmeister, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've logged 18K miles on Ecopia EP100 installed on the 2004. Tread depth is currently ~7/32" to 8/32" so extrapolation indicates ~50K miles of tread wear down to 2/32". No problem with rainy weather handling, I don't see the amber skidding car icon...

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick.

I am approx. 8k mile behind you with my dB Super E-Spec (treadwear 460 AA, tread depth 10/32" ) tires so I'll try and remember to get a measurement at around 18k for a very rough comparison. I have a feeling these tires will not last very long when compared to my old Nokian i3 but we'll see. The i3 (T-rated) tires were warrantied for 80,000 miles.

Have you heard anything about the Nokian eNtyre? It seems to have replaced the i3 for the Prius and has a treadwear rating of 700 AA.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know Nokian tires very well, as they did not have tire dealers in OC (where I lived for 10 years) or in AZ, where I am now.

As you know, the Ecopia EP100 has a 400 UTQG rating. However I think this is a highly conservative rating. At one time I had Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires on the 2004. Those tires had the same 400 UTQG rating but seemed to wear 2x as fast.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't have any dealers up here either so I had to order them online and the shipping hurt! They ended up costing more than my Yokohamas overall. If I can find a local dealer the eNtyre may be worth a try but those EP100s are such a darn good deal! lol

Here is a video on the eNtrye.

The treadwear rating system is very subjective and even TireRack states that using the rating to compare tires across manufactures is not very helpful.

1 person likes this.
  5. nu2prius

nu2prius nu2prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm on my third set of Nokian WR iterations...never been happier with a tire...

6. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just bought some Toyo Extensa A/S tires for my car.

Does anyone have experience with them? Salesperson said they are LRR but I can't confirm that based on the limited info that I can find on the internet.

7. pwalta

pwalta New Member

I know I can always count on this site to help me with my Prius questions. I have a 2007 Prius and came here originally to ask questions before ordering it. Well, 103,000 miles later, I am so happy with the car and need to replace tires. So this time I decided to log on and look at comments. I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Ecopia EP 422's. They will be in this week and I certainly won't be able to give technical reports like the other people on here (tread depth, etc)., but I will share our thoughts on rainy weather handling and noise.

Thanks for the good information everyone.

8. phdchp

phdchp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The new Consumer Reports has hit the news stands. It is the annual automotive addition. In the back, they rate tires. In the "All-Season Tires S- and T- Speed Rated" catagory, they rate the Michelin HydroEdge as the best. It gets the best marks for wet braking and tread life. I put a set on my 08 Prius 20K miles ago and they show no wear. I love them.

On a separate subject, they still rate the 01 through 09 Prius in the most reliable catagory. But that should be no surprise to anyone that frequents this site.

9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love CR but I really wish they'd report properly measured road noise comparisons with their tire reviews. They give subjective comments about road noise but you can't really take much from that. I want repeatable tests measured with an RTA tool showing noise levels at the full range of frequencies over a given duration, not just overall average dB. THAT would tell us something.

- D

10. Sambucadog

Sambucadog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First post here!
    I just purchased a 2008 and she needs new shoes. Any updated info on the EP422's? Any difference in mpg? I've narrowed it down to the EP422's and the Michelin Energy Savers. Not much current info on the EP422's, so I'm hoping some of you recent buyers can give honest opinions. I'll be buying within a few days. Thanks in advance!
    Monica

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tough call. The Energy Saver A/S may be a better tire and last a little longer but the EP422 will be really cheap right now with the $70 rebate offer at TireRack.com. The Michelins have the same offer right now but the Michelin tires is much more expensive.

12. Sambucadog

Sambucadog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    y, the specs look so similar... I think the tread is very slightly deeper on the EP422. ...I was hoping to have an EP422 owner to report in on their experiences so far. It looks like a few people have purchased them. Tirebuyer has free shipping but no rebate, Tirerack has rebate but I'd loose$40 of that in shipping, so I only save $30. Better than nothing!

13. MaP

MaP New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TIRES I have Nokia winter studded tires which got me through my first Prius 2007 winter in VT extremely well. I need to buy 4 tires to use for the rest of the year. Would appreciate your advice!

14. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just install four new GY Assurance Fuel Max. They are all-season and do well if caught in a unexpected snow storm. Very smooth and quiet and not to expensive. FE is good as well. Only my opinion, Hal

15. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello new to site but think i can help here i installed the Bridgestone Ecopia ep422 a few months back changed from oe Goodyear tires i was avg 55 mpg with Goodyears , when i switched i instantly had a drop of around 5 mpg for first 3k then mileage went up to 54mpg and ever since first tire rotation at 5k i have been avg between 58&59 mpg with tire pressure set at 42 front and 40 rears also experienced a much quieter ride and better water handling as the ep422 is all season opposed to ep100 being strictly a summer tire hope this helps

16. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the ep100 is supposed to have good wet handling too... i think they are what I'll get to replace the integrities this summer. From those tests tire rack performed they did almost the same wet or dry, if I remember correctly.

I don't think the ep 422s would be up to the winters here, and i've already got winter tires anyway that i like. I would probably have gone for the ep422s if I lived somewhere with warmer winters and if they were around when I got my winter tires.

17. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

We have 10k on our EP422's. We run them 35 up front and 33 in the rear. We're getting a solid 4 mpg improvement over the OE Goodyear Integrities. Remaining tread on the 422's is between 8/32 and 9/32 (orig tread depth 10/32). Overall, they perform well, wet and dry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. David

18. Sambucadog

Sambucadog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered the EP422's, even my mechanic couldn't believe the price from tirerack. They should arrive shortly...I'm almost sorry the horrible winter is over in Jersey, I can't test them on snow!

19. dinger_greg

dinger_greg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let us know how you like them. I am contemplating between the EP 422's and the Kumho eco Kr22.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.