1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time for new Tires

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by acdii, Nov 21, 2012.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

Too many choices in tires, but not so many for good FE, traction, and mileage. The reviews you see for most tires are usually negative, so very hard to get a good reading on a tire.

I need new ones for my 2010 Fusion Hybrid, OEM size, but dont have the car with me today to get the exact size. The OEM Michelins are trash, only 33K on them and they are nearly gone, thump and have lousy traction.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L has got to be the local tire expert and has a thread on current tire choices.

What is your tire pressure & the max. sidewall? Any tire with low pressure isn't going to last.

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

Last time I checked it was at the max, but recently had the tires rotated, so they may have set them to specs. There is still 30% tread left on the rears and 40% on the fronts, but there is one tire with a hard spot, just dont know which one.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you live? That makes a big difference in tire choice.

My top choices in that size (225/50/17)

For mpg = Energy Saver A/S
    For wet weather traction = Continental PureContact
    Tire life and low cost per mile = Continental PureContact
    Good all around tire and low price but worse mpg = Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
    For mpg and low price but worse handling = Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

My choice overall would be the Energy Saver A/S. It is a well-rounded tire in the LRR class (meaning performance tires are better) and it puts up the best MPG numbers are going to see out of any North American tires. They are not the best for handling, although better than the EP422 and they are not the best for total traction but they are quiet, comfortable and have good tread life!

If you want more performance and don't mind a rougher ride then the PureContact is quite good.

Read my tire reviews for more info. You can also try typing "Michelin energy saver a/s review" into Google and see what pops up. All th tires I purchase have reviews here on PC except for the PureContact because I have not got around to writing one yet.

cwerdna likes this.
  5. acdii

acdii Active Member

I am looking at the Primacy MXM4 for the car, expensive, but seeing a lot of good reviews on it. The car currently has the Energy A/S tires, and they dont like rain, and after 33K miles they thump. When they were new, the snow traction was decent, but rain hurt the MPG, and now, although they have plenty of tread, doesnt take much to get them spinning on wet pavement.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car is only 2 months old and Toyota gave me Yokohama AVID low resistance tires. I like them. They ride is very comfortale, grip is not the best but OK (I came fronm Perilli P-Zero low Profile on a BMW) so when I say grip is lacking it is because the Pirelli's set the bar so high. Overal the tires are quiet for me but may be noisy for someone with acute hearing capability on the highway and I get 50+ MPG. I underdstand they are in the middle of the pack based on some data.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't make the MXM4 in the 15" OEM size. The next closest tire is likely the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus or Primacy MXV4. If wet traction is what you need most then the, Serenity Plus or PureContact or ProContact from Continental are the best choices in the 15" size.

Avoid the OE AVID S33D. It's not a terrible tire but it is expensive and there are much better tires out there.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a side note, your Energy Saver A/S tires are OE spec so they may be different from the aftermarket version because they were designed to Toyota's needs. The aftermarket versions would likely be made to Michelin's desires. We are never sure how much the specs change between the two. :(

Tire Test Results : Testing Grand Touring All-Season Tires

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

I just checked the tires, they are Energy Savers, but MXV4, with a 40k warranty. I'll give the ones you mentioned a look and see which ones are the most affordable. Thanks for the tips.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize. I forgot this was for your Fusion. They do have the MXM4 in that size. If mpg is not your primary concern but comfort, noise and traction are then it is a fantastic tire. Wet traction is outstanding but tread wear is less than the PureContact or Serenity Plus. Sorry for the confusion.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 Review | PriusChat

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

No problem. I may no longer drive a Prius, but some of the best hybrid information is available here.

F8L likes this.