1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to break the silence

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by swepri, Aug 6, 2004.

1. swepri

swepri New Member

After lurking here for some time, at last I have something to say...

Today I saw my new Prius at the dealer :D

I ordered it on April 2 and after 4 months and 4 days it finally arrived. The sad thing is that it will take about one more week until delivery, because in Sweden we have to treat the cars against corrosion :|

I was told that delivery times are something like eight months here too, so I was lucky to place my order in time.

Now 6 days and 20 hours remaining...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome and congrats!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome and congratulations on your new car. :D

You said that you've been lurking, but just in case you haven' t seen them, there are some pretty strict rules to the "Cult of Priuschat".

Cult of Priuschat

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Welcome, at last some one who understands my suffering. My car is also "in" but is 700 miles away and I can not get off work long enough to pick it up for another week. I have a licence plate and registration but no car :cry: One week now and I will be a Prius owner and a Prius driver. :p

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity, what's the corrosion protection for? Is there some sort of special environmental factor there that causes quick corrosion?

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hydro, I'm retired...I'll go get your car...I need to break mine in...with only 100 miles on it in three days I am close to Prius abuse... :lol:

Bob, Driftwood 9 in Denver

Congrats to you, Swepri....IT'S WORTH THE WAIT...

7. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats,
    I know your feeling, I had same kind problem but my case was government paper work did not compleatede so held my car for 5 days at distribution center!

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm VERY suspicious about that corrosion protection. Sounds like the kind of rip-off that U.S. dealers always try to sell to car buyers. Even in northern states that use a lot of salt on the roads, the dealer corrosion protection is considered a rip-off: pure profit for the dealer and no value to the customer. Toyota builds their cars with protection. Anything more is redundant.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I guess they don't have much use for salt on the winter roads in New Orleans :) Melts the ice (but only about about 10F). Used to be everyone got "Tuff Coat" or "Rusty Jones" undercoating on a new car. Turned out to be a really poor deal. If it failed, they were only liable for the price you paid for the undercoating. And, more than likely, if it failed in a small area, the salty water would splash up and get trapped, actually increasing the rust rate. It would be unnoticed until it became a serious problem.

I think most (all?) cars have galvanized metal now anyway. They still rust, but it takes many years. The rust that will get you is through the paint, if you get a deep scratch or rock pit.

10. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the only ice that I'm familiar with is ice in my lemonade. :mrgreen:

Thanks, though, I now understand it. I certainly would imagine that at least on those parts that are painted that paint is a perfectly good rust-deterrent.

11. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rust proof? When I was living in snow belt states I never install rust proof. But its better than nothing right?
    I really hate winter.... I mean for car! Salt, deicer, sand, unknown chemical Ewwww.... on top of it I was crazy enough washing my car on dead freez! well that was good memory

12. swepri

swepri New Member

Corrosion protection

Yes, we have a lot of winter in Sweden, here in the southern parts salt is used a lot to melt ice on the roads.

Japanese (and French) cars have a rather poor reputation when it comes to rust protection. The Prius manages only a 2 out of 5 (5 = best) in rust protection according to a Swedish motor magazine (running a full year test of a Prius 04, by the way).

I consider the relatively small extra protection fee a good deal, especially since it probably will make the car even quiter as a bonus. The dealer doesn't make any profit at all out of this.

6 days and counting...

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, it sounds like you've researched it and you know what you're doing. And it also sounds like it may be something different than what dealers apply in the U.S.

When you buy any new car in the U.S., it takes 15 minutes for the dealer just to go through the list of all the extra stuff he wants to sell you, and none of it is woth a hill of beans. Rust-proofing, fabric protection, theft protection (actually just a serial number etched onto the windows!), and much more.

14. swepri

swepri New Member

Car dealers

I suppose there are all kinds of dealers here in Sweden too. My particular dealer has sold me four Toyotas so far. I live in a small town where a dealer can't afford a bad rep. Actually this dealer don't push things at all (or I'm I totally duped?), latest example is when I asked about getting an external cell phone antenna, he said that he could fix it but directed me to a nearby company which specializes in that stuff. Same equipment but cheaper for me.

That's why I keep buying cars there.

Still six days...

15. swepri

swepri New Member

No car yet, but at least a picture

Aaarrrgggh! I have to wait until friday 27 to drive my Prius home. There was a massive overbooking at the rust protection company :cry:

But at least I have some pictures to watch while waiting. One is posted in the Album section, title is 'Want a new home'.

I think the red color (Dark Mica Red Metallic) looks quite good, I had never seen one with this color when I ordered it.

/Paj

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: No car yet, but at least a picture

It isn't quite yet winter in Sweden! Do you live too far to bring it back in 2 weeks?

17. swepri

swepri New Member

Still summer but...

... it is better to keep the lower part of the car as clean and dry as possible to ensure a good treatment. This summer has been VERY rainy here, something like eight weeks running with rain everyday. And more rain is due next week.

/Paj