1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to change 12V battery?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mykola, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Mykola

Mykola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 Prius C with 55K miles.

I wonder if it is time to change that original battery or not yet? I just had a 5 week long vacation, during which my car was not driven. I was ready for a dead battery (considering that it was old, and its capacity probably decreased a lot), but the car started just fine.

When did other users have to change their batteries? What is a good way to tell it is time?
    I do not want to change it too early, but I would hate to have a situation when I really need the car, and it won't start, since I use it a lot now.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the best way is to check the voltage when you check your oil. mine is also a 2012 with 53,000 miles. i leave it every winter for 5 weeks and no problems. i hope to keep it a few more years.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If money is tight, invest in a portable jump box. The Prius doesn't take much battery capacity to get going.

If money is not really a big factor........go ahead and change it.
    5 to 8 years seems to be when they start falling out......with more each passing year.