1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to change some module, need help with numbers

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Solerno, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all, about a week ago my 2001 Prius gave me the red triangle. Based on the problems(hesitation while accelerating, slowly worse MPG over the last couple weeks, and a faster than usual battery drain/recharge) I determined the battery was dying.

So I've been doing research for the last week, and I feel confident to be able to remove the pack and replace any dead cells. In my searching, I found an app (Torque, pro version) that let me read the voltage and resistance of each cell block pair. Now, there is one that is seemingly obviously dead(reads 0 volts at all times) and another that is running about a volt lower than the rest of the blocks, I was thinking this one may just need to be balanced with the others. If that wasn't enough, there is also a block reading 655 volts, which makes me wonder if I have a corrosion/connection issue with that block.

The app lets me record sensor data on my drives, so I took a drive while reading the block volts and resistances. If someone could help me determine which blocks/cells need to be replaced and overall understanding the resistance numbers since half of the seemingly 'good' blocks read 0 and the rest read 255, I would be grateful.

technical bits:
    year: 2001
    miles 200,343(approx)
    codes: P3006(I received more, but after clearing them this is the only one that came back, I'll update if the others come back too.)

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I get the impression that the Prius PID data loaded into Torque Pro is questionable. Toyota doesn't really publish the stuff, so people put in a lot of effort to reverse-engineer it to make files you can load into Torque, etc., and there can be mistakes. It's even possible for the data to have the right address and parameter ID, but the wrong scaling math; it sounds to me like that could be part of what's going on with resistance readings that are either all zero or all 255 (suspicious, an eight-bit number of all 1s). Likewise, you definitely do not have a battery module measuring 655 volts!

For Gen 1 PID data, there was an open-source effort to gather the stuff in a format that should be reasonably human-readable for vetting and catching mistakes, and could also be automatically translated into bespoke formats for Torque, ScanGauge, etc. (I don't remember if a translator for Torque was ever written as part of that effort.)

You might at least be able to refer to that and compare to the way you have those PIDs currently defined in Torque: NHW11 vehicle database.

-Chap

3. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey Chap, funny you mention that..I actually got the PID's from a discussion you were apart of with Florian a while back. Perhaps I grabbed an early version :oops::(:oops:

Thank you for responding :)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know that back when I was using the PID data from here in a ScanGauge II on a 2001, it was reporting reasonable values for battery block voltages and internal resistances. It was, by then, a combination of Graham's and Vincent's work with further effort to find and resolve the few discrepancies between them.

So, I can only suggest to compare it carefully to what has been programmed into your Torque app, looking for some mistranscriptions somewhere.

-Chap

5. Solerno

Solerno New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just downloaded and imported the file that jefJ put into that thread awhile ago. The equations do seem different than the one I was using, so I'll give that a try today and reupload my results. Thanks again, Chap!