1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to mod! 2011 Blizzard Pearl White

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jwb2781, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror?????????????

Keith

2. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll take Weathertech visors over any JDM visor that sticks on with tape. :rolleyes:

3. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is why I ended up with 18"s.

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And I ended up with 16's. Haha!

5. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And probably while I'll keep my 15's. :(

6. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol...any takers for 14s?

7. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd take it, if it looked good(which I doubt):D

8. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm trying to avoid too big of a mpg hit. You are helped a little being in Texas with a milder winter. :)

9. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I loved the look of my 16" Corolla wheels on my Prius. I don't like the look of the 18" ultra low sidewall on a Prius.

10. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You, sir, have nailed it. If I lived up north, not sure I could stomach the additional hit I would take.

11. Rob95066

Rob95066 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

***EXCELLENT COMMENT on the fact that Blizzard Pearl is not pure white and may clash a little with the white rims. Go black or stainless steel. Just my 2 cents...

12. Jwb2781

Jwb2781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    NineScorpions, What MPG are you getting with your 18's? I am thinking about selling mine, but it's hard because my car looks soo good with 18's. I am getting only 38mpg...down 10mpg...which is a lot....is that normal? Maybe I need to inflate my tires more.

13. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow...38. That is rough. My fuelly only shows 45, but that includes my initial tanks without tire pressure changes, ECO mode, and overall lack of hypemiling knowledge. My mileage right now is 46-47mpg calculated. In the summer...I expect to be close to 50.

Not sure why you are taking such a huge hit. I know it is colder up there...and perhaps more rain? What is your wheel weight and what tires do you have? What pressures are you running and do you run in ECO mode? How much do you attempt to hypermile?

14. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sorry to hijack your thread, but actually this is on topic. I would like to share how I am driving my Pri with the springs, rims, and tires. I am curious for those of you with rims, springs, etc...how you are driving it. Keep in mind that this is what I am doing with 18" rims...so not sure exactly what you would see with stock wheels.

-Pressures 47 front, 45 rear (tire max is 51 PSI)
    -ECO mode on all the time
    -Fuel - Shell...all the time
    -City speed - normally the speed limit
    -Highway speed - 60-65

-When I drive, I only watch the real time mpg meter (the one to the right of the MPH numbers). I try to keep that at least even with the 50mpg mark and going over whenever possible. I used to watch the throttle meter on the right side, but I found that is less helpful than the mpg meter. What is important is what the real time mpg is showing. If you are showing at 50mpg mark...it does not matter how much throttle you are giving it. In order to keep it at the 50mpg mark...you have to be willing to slow down on hills and either accelerate or glide down the other side in which case you will see the mpg meter go up to 60 or 70mpg.

-When on the interstate, my object is not to lose a single CONS MPG value. So when my speed settles on the interstate and my CONS reads 50mpg flat (for example)...I try to keep it at 50mpg the entire duration of the interstate trip. Sometimes it works...sometimes you lose one tenth. Depends on conditions. In good conditions...I might pick up a tenth.

-When starting from a stop and my speed will not exceed 40mph...I do not go into pwr bar area.

-When starting from a stop and my speed will go to interstate speed...I use about half power bar from 15mph to 45mph...then back off into ECO range again.

-Anytime that I know I have a 2-3 mile stretch of 30-40mph road...I accelerate to about 45mph (or about 5mph above the limit)...then go into EV mode and do a combination of EV and gliding. I use perhaps a half of the battery charge before I enter a new speed zone such as a stop light, interstate etc.

-One area I am still working on is when to apply brakes and being easy on the brakes as to only engage regenerative brakes. Just like the video...I apply them earlier, but lightly...and get a long charge on the battery.

I am still learning, but thus far this is helping me to combat the loss I am seeing due to my rims and tires. It is what it is :D

If I just drove the car (without caring)...I am guessing I would be getting about 44mpg. I will try that one tank...but I will have to tape up the dash since it is too hard not to look!

15. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very detailed & couldn't of said it better myself. I drive in very similar fashion:).

16. Jwb2781

Jwb2781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the Injen short ram intake.....lets find out what it actually does....I hope sound better with a hint of more power and better mpg :-D

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ninescorpions, I forget if you have ever posted your average indicated speed for those 47mpg+ tanks. I'm trying to compare my GenII figures with yours. My avg. indicated speed was between 43-47mph on the 47mpg+ tanks when using the 17" wheels.

18. rsg

rsg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing that confuses me -- how do you put it into EV mode above 25 MPH? I'm assuming that you press the EV button and the EV light comes on.

Whenever I do that, it says "EV Mode Not Available -- Excessive Speed" or something to that effect.

Or, are you saying that as long as I am going 45 MPH or less, the ICE won't kick in as long as I am gliding and the battery doesn't go down more than a couple of ticks?

19. TomDac

TomDac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My thoughts exactly.

20. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    for my highest tank thus far, the averages speed was 28. My current tank is nearly as good and my average speed right now is also 28. But I have also seen my best numbers and be at 33 avg. So I do not know what to make of it.