1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to replace the spare?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just had to use my spare tire for another 12 or so miles. I've used it a few times before, but of course it's also coming up to being 10 years old (bought the car in June 2012). Best to replace?

I see that TireRack is speccing choice of the Maxxis Temporary/Compact Spare (T135/80D16 101M) for $138.17 and the Yokohama Y870B (T135/80D16 101M) for $94.59. I figure the Yokohama should be good enough.

Thoughts?

Sidenote: I was going out yesterday morning and drove a block before noting the tire pressure light was on. Went home and found the right/rear tire was at 20psi; front right was at 27. I filled both tires and went to a local Mavis. They checked the tire over but found nothing. The tires were... a little over four years old, I think. Normally I would just fill them up and see what happens over the next week, but on Monday I have to drive my 91 year old mother to NYC for some medical tests (1-/2 to 2 hours with traffic) and didn't want to risk getting ready to go and having a flat, so I opted to replace all four.

While doing this, they said the struts needed replacement. They showed them to me, but I'm hardly expert enough to know the truth of it. But I had them replaced, too. So... $2k later I drive out, feeling perhaps a bit suckered.

As I'm leaving the lot I hear a TAP TAP TAP sound, which to me means a pebble stuck in a tread, or maybe a nail. I get home but can't see anything. The next day I'm on the parkway and the front/right tire explosively depressurizes. Back to Mavis (on the spare). My presumption here is that the tapping sound was a nail in the tire, something they drove over while test driving the car after the strut work. I saw a small hole in the tread after removing the tire, though perhaps the nail or whatever came out when the tire died.

If I hadn't driven today this would have happened on the Long Island Expressway on the way to NYU Medical Center.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Never replaced one personally used mine maybe for a minute put it right back in the trunk as long as it's sitting in the back and the dark should be relatively like new

SM-A715F ?

bisco likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should check the spare every 6 months or so, for pressure.
    And what condition it's in.

Low tire pressure could be from several things. Object in the tire, leaking or bad valve core/valve.
    Leaking bead. That place SHOULD have check for that. They can remove the wheel and dunk the
    whole thing in a tube of water and see the leak from air bubble.

But, the instatnt you heard the noise, you should have went back and have them check it out.

Check the tire pressure of the new tires. Make sure they are not overfilled. Check the torque of the
    lug nuts also. They usually over tighten them.
    They could have bent the disc backing while doing the struts, that you probably didn't need.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, agree... My spare tire will get replaced if it gets really bad, not just old.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never replace tires due to age.
    my dakota tires are 16 years old.
    how many miles on your car?
    how many miles were on the replaced tires?
    i wouldn't replace shocks unless there was a noticeable issue.
    but admittedly, i'm not a 'fix it before it breaks' kinda guy.
    i do remember, when taking my 95 year old father to docs appt's, i wished i had a whole new car!:cool:
    not a time when you want to break down.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On a spare tire that's stored in the car and not exposed to direct sunlight- I would inspect it annually for cracks in the rubber or the valve stem. Check the pressure and don't worry about it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.