1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to Sell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acdii, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius, the original tires where horrible in the snow, they came off within 3 weeks of when I bought the Prius in October of 2003. I put on a set of Nokia WR's, as others have in this thread, and have never had an issue since. I just went for an inspection sticker, and the tires where finally worn out, after 53,000 miles on them. I replaced them with Toyo Proxes TPT's last week, and again, I have a solid tracking vehicle, even in snow. OEM tires are typically poor, and you can't judge a car's handling in snow with them.

You should do fine selling the car, the Prius is not for everyone.

mitch

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi acdii,

Good Tires, alignment (insure slight positive toe in), Grill blocking (completely close off the top, and 3/4 s of the lower grill slits), and a BT Tech stiffening plate and you wont recognise your Prius.

Oh, and in front wheel cars when you start to slide, you need to give a little gas, not pull off the peddle like in the Crown Vic and F350.

3. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As stated above: best car I've driven in snow (including my two Swedish mountain climbers). It's the tires. Another vote for the Nokian WRs.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to repeat the question: Why do you have 6 cars? Only two of you drive.

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

The other cars, are my mothers. One is grounded until I can replace the brake lines, the other is her daily driver. That being said, the main reason I traded in the prius is lack of space. With two full car seats, there was no more room for a third person. I'm sure replacing the tires would improve snow performance, and this year has been horrible weather with rain turning to ice then covered with snow. My drive has an inch of ice, my barn has 2.3" of ice in front and I cant get the door or the gate open. My biggest complaint was the traction control, to me it felt like it was too sensitive, and there were times it kicked in where other cars wouldn't, and in particular when trying to get into a hole in traffic, if it kicked in then, it would put us in jeopardy, and it has kicked in quite often when the roads are dry and warm when pulling out from a side road. Today for the first time, my entire family was able to go out to breakfast without taking two cars.

They gave me 20K for it, I came out ahead. It was a base model, so only dropping 3K from MSRP after 25000 miles and 11 months is quite a shock. If we could have afforded both, we would have kept the Prius, but we couldn't justify it. We bought the Veracruz, and wow what a difference in handling and comfort, I no longer feel cramped or vulnerable while driving, and I can stretch my legs.

My overall experience with the P is I liked it, it did us well for the time we had it, and if it had more room, would have kept it. I will always recommend it for anyone who asks. In a way we are going to miss it, it is a unique vehicle that is interesting to drive, fun? no, far from it, but interesting. As for the gas, I already know what our expenses will be since the new car gets a bit better MPG than the Vic, so we will be about double in gas costs each week, but far less than if I drove the truck everyday, especially at $3.72 a gallon for diesel.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If/when you go with a hybrid again, I'd have to jump on the bandwagon regarding the stock tires. They were as LOWSEY as any snow tire is GOOD. We've had our '04 up at our Montana home during 2 winters. First thing we did (as with our other cars) was to go down to Big O and install a set of 4 studded tires. End of problem. To parrot what others said, the grill blocking/block heater takes away all the other issues of heat / window fog. It's hard to believe, but after reading posts of others, we tried it, and lo & behold they were right. When we wanted higher mpg capable of seating more people, we got the hybrid SUV. I'm able to average over 30mpg per tank (my wife's lead foot gets about 5mpg less) and even with slick ice or unplowed snow, the extra ground clearance (coupled with a set of 4 studded snow tires) never failed us. Anyway, hope you can hurry back! In the mean time, good luck.

7. acdii

acdii Active Member

We did consider the HyHy, but could not justify the added 10K for it. If we find we can afford another one, we wont hesitate to get one, we just cant afford both and put the kids in daycare. One thing I learned from the P was how to drive conservatively and it is paying off on the new car, so far I am at 20MPG after only 140 miles, thats better than the test drivers get with CR and Edmunds, and it just keeps going up. My goal is a daily 21MPG of mixed City Highway driving, and I know I can easily get 27-30 out of this on the highway. I was getting 26 with the Vic on the highway and I am already 2MPG higher than the Vic under the same driving routes. Going to miss the Vic too, it was the first year Sport model with digital dash, center console with floor shift, interior was what they based the Maruader interior on, solid black, no chrome, and 5 spoke sport rims. It is a sharp looking car and I hated to see it go, but I would rather see it sold to someone who will drive it instead of it rusting in my drive. The only time it was driven was when I was in Pennsylvania with the P, so my wife drove it for two weeks.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

Update

I got me a 2009 Camry Hybrid last April, over 20K miles on it so far and loving it! I dont miss the prius one bit! :)