1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to stop charging my PiP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 29, 2014.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20150107_074053.jpg 20150102_163406.jpg
    More numbers. :)

This is one example of the return commute although my speed was higher I didn't use the heater as aggressively.

The other picture is from this morning's commute at 65mph. I kept the heater/defroster on low to keep the windows clear. No effort at hypermiing. Just wanted to see the difference between high speed, pre-heating, and aggressive heater use vs. Lower speed, no pre-heat and lower heater use.

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If someone told me they were getting 250 miles from a gallon of gasoline, I'd think they were lying. So "250 MPG" isn't really that at all; it's like saying I walked from NY to LA, when all I did was walk down the aisle of the plane.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you mean. The screen maxes at 250mpg. In this instance I used 0 gasoline so mpg would be infinite. My actual lifetime mpg is 107. That is completely factual. Simply divide miles driven by gallons used. Is it the whole story? Of course not but those are facts. :) Welcome to the goofy accounting world of PHEVs.

fortytwok likes this.
  4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, it's true that you got more than 250 miles, while burning one gallon of gasoline, but "MPG" is the lie. The energy for those miles didn't all come from that gallon if gasoline. It had help from stored electro-chemical energy which was stored in a battery, which isn't getting any credit in the "MPG" label.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't use any gasoline. I'm not sure where you are getting the 1ga thing from.

They have to put something on the screen. MPGe doesn't work because of all the variables and it's a fairly stupid measurement anyway. I get what you are saying and how the general public tends to use this number without proper accounting for electricity but we are not the general public are we? My post was to show the kWh usage vs. miles driven to illustrate efficiency/inefficiency for those interested in this stuff like usbseawolf2000. I definitely wasn't bragging as my numbers are not very good. If anything I was supporting usbseawolf's point about EV use on the highway is not very efficient vs. using gasoline in something super efficient like the Prius. :)

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well then, all the more reason that MPG is irrelevant.

7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I for one like MPGe.

And on a plugin hybrid I want to see MPG (hybrid), MPGe and MPK (miles per KWh)

It's all relevant.

rxlawdude and markabele like this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then why did you bring it up?

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because MPG is very misleading when gasoline isn't the only energy source.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully newer cars will provide all of that info. In 2010 they didn't know what consumers wanted. Now they do. OnStar gives me MPG and kWh/100 miles. Simple math gives me miles per kWh. Just need a display for MPGe but I doubt any manufacturer will willingly add that gauge. lol

You are the only one bringing up MPG. I certainly didn't. Most of us in this thread know better.

#70 F8L, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That MPG in question is used as gas consumption. It is not fuel economy.

In a regular Prius, both means the same thing but not with plugins due to two fuels.

PiP differentiates it by calling it Cons MPG. For fuel economy, MPK and MPG can be calculated from the EV ratio screen.

12. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From what I can tell, the general public expects/understands MPG best as it is currently reported. (as in total miles driven / gas used).
    The next question then typically is how much it cost to charge it.

We aren't the general public, so we get more pedantic about it :p

13. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The one thing that bugs me about the PiP is that on gas only, it'll start racking up EV miles, so the gas only mileage is a little pessimistic. I guess the mileage in general is optimistic though, so it probably balances out.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heavy regeneration will subtract reported kWh used in the Volt. It messes with my head sometimes . There is now energy graph over time like the Prius has. :)

15. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    AFAIK, the only EV miles that are tabulated are when you are in EV mode (Pure EV or in the EV mode of Hybrid mode). Whether the energy is recovered from braking or added via the plug is irrelevant. If you see "EV" on the display, its accruing to EV miles and kWh consumed.

If I've misspoken, someone will no doubt chime in. :)

16. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think what happens is that you can build EV range when the capacity goes over a mile.

If you switch to EV mode in a parking lot, or even on the highway after a long descent, those miles count towards EV miles instead of HV miles, even though the energy is from HV operation.

17. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    That sounds right. What this means is that the "EV mode" consumption includes both plug power and regenerated power from HV, and is NOT accurate with respect to how much external A-C power was fed into the car.

18. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, and conversely, HV mpg is technically not counting miles in EV mode that came from HV braking.

19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not exactly true. You can get EV mile credit when in EV, but the kwh for those have to have been "approximately" provided by an equal amount of EV charge from the wall.
    If you drive with gas up a hill with 0.0 EV miles, then drive downhill and recharge to 10 miles, you will get those next 10 miles as EV miles but the kwh will start to increment, then get cancelled out (I've seen this twice). After many miles your EV miles and the kwh used to get then down't make sense. Of course, the thinking is that you would rarely do this.

Mike

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've noticed that when i'm in ev, if i turn on the heat, it racks up hv miles until the engine shuts off.