1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timeline/options for P3006

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Wisco, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Richard Bell

Richard Bell New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    As far as the code P3006 it has not appeared again after a couple of days...so maybe the HV has settled down ... I programmed a Scangauge II X Gauge to read the SOC...what should it be running at normally, do you know? It shows 59% when I finished programming the gauge, I haven't run the car out since then

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In an emergency I've run computers in the car with an inverter.... but it is not very practical.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    60% is the system's "happy place". You may see anything in a range of 39% to 81% though.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric, what balancing system do you use? I'm considering the Prolong system, I can even (sort of) afford the $500 for it. If there's a better system or less expensive I want to know.

I looked at the one mentioned earlier and it didn't look like it would facilitate in the car maintenance balancing. BTW, all my cells are within about .5v of each other around 15.5 to 15.75. I'd like to have them last for as long as they can.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prolong is one that I have customers buy if they are looking for a grid charger.

There are always ways to do it cheaper (dollar wise), like searching the internet for plans and scrolling through lists of parts on digikey, then assembling it yourself. But most people don't want to go this route.

Often it is better to just buy a product that works, backed by a reputable company with a good warranty. That would be Prolong. Heck, they even have supported this forum throughout the years as well.

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought and installed the Prolong (Hybrid Automotive.) system and in the final stages of doing the initial 3 step balancing act. I love the charger, it's really nice and shares what it's doing. Can't say the same for the 2 bulb discharger. Way to easy to discharge too much. I had a couple of 200w incandescent bulbs doing the draining--seems like you look away for a coupla minutes and it goes too far. I don't think it hurts anything to discharge a bit too much, but this is a very 3rd world approach. I've switched to one 100w bulb for the final phase.

Hybrid Automotive is introducing (soon!) a smart discharger, which does it all automatically. I'm going to get one for the next balancing act, I think. Currently $259, I suspect there might be growing pains and a learning curve. Jeff's blog started discussing it last fall and at that time he said it was going to be less than $200. We shall see.

If it keeps the batteries healthy, it seems to me that the cost of the Prolong is well worth the spendy price.

Raytheeagle likes this.