1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement - Cannot Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Richie Nagi, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Richie Nagi

Richie Nagi New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Folks,

I am trying to replace the timing chain tensioner and gasket on my 2015 Prius. I followed the steps in the factory manual, but when I turned the crackshaft clockwise for the last step, I never heard the expected click of the plunger deploying. I decided to remove the tensioner again, and found that the plunger had not extended. However, when I went to put install the tensioner back again, I am unable to insert the tensioner, even though it was able to remove it without any trouble.

I have checked the tensioner orientation to be sure, but no luck. Anyone ran into the same issue/insights?

Appreciate any advice!
    Thanks!

2. Richie Nagi

Richie Nagi New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, if this helps anyone going forward, I put the tensioner on, pushed it in as far as possible. Then installed the 2 nuts, and slowly tightened them. The plunger of the tensioner deployed on the second attempt. I had not turned the crank enough on the first try. Thanks NutzAboutBoltz for the advice!

SB6 likes this.
  3. sjochssr

sjochssr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Richie,

I'm going to replace the timing chain tensioner on my 2010 Prius as well. Any chance you could post the factory manual instructions you referenced? I cannot find a definitive explanation as to whether the crankshaft has to be rotated counter clockwise, or clockwise, or both, and if so by how much. Also, there was some mention that the crankshaft had to be top dead center as well when replacing the tensioner. Confused.

Much appreciated!

Steve

Bohemian Grove likes this.