1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gzero, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Gzero

Gzero New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have replaced head gasket, and so far all is going well! Just a bit worried when prepping to install the timing chain tensioner. I see some posts mentioning to turn the crankshaft, referring to the gasketmasters video the don't ever mention doing such a thing. Just unsure what needs to be done so when the tensioner is installed, the plunger becomes unhooked. Really not wanting to mess it up and having the chain come loose! Thanks

2. Al johnston97

Al johnston97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi I followed gasket masters video and the chain jumped because I didn’t know to turn the crankshaft counter clockwise. Video they have creates a big issue for diyers

3. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The timing tensioner should release by itself once you move the chain. I just finished putting mine back on and you can hear the clicks. Dont worry about the chain skipping teeth because the timing cover has a lip at the bottom to prevent that. 20230511_190043.jpg

#3 Priipriii, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
    CR94 likes this.