1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing chain VVT issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by keith770_770, Oct 16, 2022.

1. keith770_770

keith770_770 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently replaced my head gasket, 2007 Prius and have run into an unexpected problem. My guess is that when I put in the timing chain the VVT was not in locked mode. I was able to spin the gear on the VVT manually. Not knowing which side to put it on and zero detail in the Haynes manual...

In Hsynres, even testing the VVT refers to plugging ports and pumping up the advance ports with no diagram...what port on what part: the vvt? the camshaft?

Now I am getting a P0011 and a earlier received a P0016 errors. The manual did not specify the mode of the VVT and I gave it no thought, but was uneasy where to place the sprocket.

I need to know several things:
    1) how do you lock an unlocked VVT
    2) How can I hold the timing chain so the tensioner does not pop out when I take off the sprockets, preventing reinstall of the chain (unless you want to drain the cooling system, remove the engine mount, water pump, front of the engine....AGAIN)

Notes:
    The timing chain has less than 50k on it (and in spec)
    The tensioner is new
    The crankshaft position sensor is new
    The head gasket was confirmed to be bad by a combustion gas test (and massive loss of coolant)
    The Car has 365,000 miles on it and we will continue to repair it to the last bolt standing...gas mileage 45 mpg

Prius Rising likes this.
  2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. keith770_770

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. While I still do not see detail about the V V T, I did see you can immobilize the Tensioner through an access port. I should be able to get the sprockets off to inspect V V T action. Should the gear be a "freewheel" I will place in it fully retarded position, as suggested by some posts. I did find an unlock / lock procedure for a V V T on a scion: The V V T looks identical in appearance:

I note many posts suggest that the V V T on the 2007 does not lock

4. keith770_770

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And here is the information on the V V T V_V_T_1.PNG V_V_T_2.PNG V_V_T_3.PNG