1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

timing Chain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mehmet alb, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    how many thousand km does the timing chain change for the 2007 prius? What else should I change besides oil, oil filter, gasoline filter, air filter, pollen filter?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh holy BS I'm sorry buddy I wouldn't think that would be the case in the Gen too

3. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    how many thousand km does the timing chain change for the 2007 prius? What else should I change besides oil, oil filter, gasoline filter, air filter, pollen filter?

4. Mehmet alb

Mehmet alb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2007 prius için zamanlama zinciri kaç bin km değişiyor? Yağ, yağ filtresi, benzin filtresi, hava filtresi, polen filtresi dışında neleri değiştirmeliyim?how many thousand km does the timing chain change for the 2007 prius? What else should I change besides oil, oil filter, gasoline filter, air filter, pollen filter?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The timing chain on the 1NZ engine can go for $500,000 mi or it can fail the first week out on the road but that's not likely The one NZ is a very proven engine no kidding You're on the right track maybe the spark plugs Make sure your coils are good and you have good fire for the ignition.

Mehmet alb likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many km on her?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12v, tyres, belt, water pump, wheel bearings, cv joints, bulbs, discs and pads, wiper blades, combo meter, brake actuator, battery modules...

Mehmet alb likes this.
  8. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until the motor blows up for some other reason? I would expect the rings to lock up and oil usage to go through the roof long before the timing chain fails. Assuming of course that the car never runs low on oil. Heck, even then it would probably throw a rod before the chain went.

It's a CHAIN, not a BELT. Timing belts (rubber) do need to be replaced (at least on interference engines), timing chains (steel), not so much.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF the engine is maintained correctly, then the timing chain lasts "the life of the engine". You shouldn't need to replace it unless there is abnormal wear. (my 2006 has almost 200k miles and no indication that there are any mechanical problems).

Typical routine maintenance items are: oil & all filters, engine and inverter coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs and pcv valve, clean throttle body. Inspect water pump belt and idler, brakes, suspension, test the 12V battery, cooling system parts, exhaust system, tires, lights, etc.

The OE inverter coolant pump lasts around 100k.
    I don't know if the fuel filter is serviceable (North American spec Gen2 is not)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    at 240k miles my 2006 Prius throw a code for timing correlation which means the timing chain is stretched. It is perhaps the easiest and cheapest timing chain replacement I ever did.

You only change it when it throws a code or making a noise (tensioner maybe)

If you're doing proper maintenance such as oil change often this shouldn't be an issue and it could last a lifetime.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4uf4HYqcH7c

Mehmet alb likes this.