1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing cover leak, dealer estimate.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChazB, Jan 11, 2023.

1. ChazB

ChazB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Near Sacramento, CA. Took my 2011 with 101K (purchases @65K) to dealer for oil change and brake check, since I started hearing friction noise when applying the brakes. They told me the brake pads have 5mm or 25K miles left but the rotors are rusted, can’t be resurfaced, and should be replaced when I do the pads. Then they said there’s an oil leak on the timing cover that requires pulling the motor. They quoted me $3200, which would also include replacing the associated seals and hoses. With a $400 off coupon it’s down to $2800, but I declined since I haven’t seen any drips underneath or smelled any burning oil. They said the oil would burn off before it dripped. After I declined they also recommended replacing the brake fluid which looks old and dark, $480. I declined on that as well since it would be done when I replace the pads and rotors. I get the feeling the dealer is always suggesting work that might or might not be needed. Does anyone know how critical the timing cover service is? I’m thinking I can try to get a look at the leak area, watch closely for drips, and check my dipstick for the oil level to determine if it’s a minor seep or more serious and needs to be done. I’ve always went to the dealer, but I also feel like I should start calling around to get some comparison quotes. Looking for any input from others with knowledge on these issues. Thanks, Chuck

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's probably the oil sending unit clean cover off well watch oil sender a few days it'll get wet then the oil spreads over cover . Replace send unit. My 10 is same right now I watch and see it.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi ChazB. I'm afraid that when you take your car to a dealership, they will suggest things above and beyond why you took your car in. A part of it is in the interest of safety, the other in the interest of profit. I get it, their overhead is huge, but I can't afford them. If possible, find yourself and independent auto mechanic with experience working on the Prius. If you aren't loosing a quart between oil changes, the leak may not be that bad.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everyones timing cover leaks. if you're notgetting any dripping on the ground or losing oil, ignore it.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually timing-cover leaks are not as serious as greedy dealers want us to believe, but they can be. Just keep watching it.
    I doubt oil leaking there is going to be "burned off."

#5 CR94, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s not necessary to pull the engine. If it’s a bad enough leak, it’s quite doable to remove, clean, apply fresh form-in-place gasket, and reinstall, with the motor in place. The going price I’ve heard here is $1500~2000 USD.

You can get some idea of how bad it is, looking down the right end wall of the engine (aka the “front”). A better view is afforded if you remove front passenger wheel, undo the accessible clips on the wheel well liner and flex it out of the way.

If the leak is minor I would let it be. Maybe wipe down and see how fast it returns. It might even be just the timing chain tensioner leaking; it’s about halfway up on the back corner.

This video is a head gasket replacement; they do that timing cover in the course of it:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023