1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing cover reseal: coolant leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stefanovich, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    all. Long time no see.

So I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. I noticed my coolant was leaking so I took it into a local shop, and they diagnosed me with two repairs. The first was reasonable. An inverter coolant replacement because of leakage. The other, however... They said the timing cover was leaking coolant and wanted to reseal it for near $1300
    That seems a bit high to me. Could I get a second opinion here? Maybe a recommendation of mechanics in the Portland, OR area or anone who could help? Or is it a reasonable price for labor, and I'll have to bear it?
    Here's a picture of the leak provided by the mechanic as well as the invoice
    Screenshot_20221011-133308.png IMG-7193.jpg

Thank you in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've heard of the timing cover leaking oil, but never coolant.

resealing is a big job, and that's not a bad price. but most often, the leak isn't worth repairing, unless there's a puddle under the car.
    i would start with the pump, and see how it goes

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd walk away from these clowns. They're trying to scam you...

#1) Just because inverter coolant is leaking a little doesn't mean it's necessary to replace the coolant, it just means you clean and inspect and if need be put a new hose clamp on where it's leaking from. If you had a failed hose maybe it could be argued you have to drain the coolant a little to replace the hose, but that's not what they suggested doing.

#2) Much like the dashboard, the timing chain cover is a magical place in a vehicle where you can charge hugely inflated book hours and a long list of parts to fix a barely detectable leak that needs to be monitored after a good cleaning, not repaired. What's more, as Bisco suggests, timing chain covers for a minor leak are oil based, not coolant based. If you have a coolant leak in that area that's less than minor that's an engine coolant pump problem, not timing chain cover problem.

Anyways, I live 90 minutes north of Portland and would be happy to help you take care of your car when there's actually something wrong with it. Based on these symptoms the only thing you need is a through engine compartment cleaning and top off the coolant and monitor the rate of the leak so you're ready to take the next step when it goes from minor to significant.

What these mechanics are doing to you is why this man of integrity quit his new auto mechanic job after 4 hours of working for similar scammers. I wish there were more mechanics who were honest as him: I couldn't believe what this owner actually asked me to do. It was a no from me and I left 4 hours after I started.

4. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the offer. I'm going to be replacing the coolant reservoir because that definitely has a good sized leak. As for the timing chain cover, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I got two conflicting reports from different mechanics, both from the same Auto shop. One said it wasn't very serious and he could understand me putting it off for a while, while the other said that it's normally something minor but I should get it changed because they don't even mention it unless it's serious.

I'm headed up to Lacey on this Thursday for an interview. Maybe on my way there or back you can check it out? Then again you might not be able to get a good look until I fix the reservoir leak.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure I'd be happy to take a look for free as I do this for a hobby and side hustle and don't have a shop/job doing it. You're always welcome to donate though. ;-) Just text me, I'm in west Oly: 360-789-78four.three

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a pretty sketchy diagnosis considering that photo shows crystal buildup at the bottom of the engine coolant pump. The leak isn't even significant enough to be wet. A bit of seepage that's evaporating before it can puddle/etc and leaving a buildup of deposits. I'd be a lot more inclined to bide my time and find a mechanic with a brain and then have the pump replaced at my convenience. Then again, even though I've seen very similar deposit buildup on a couple prii and replaced the water pumps, we're looking at it from the other end of the internet.

PriusCamper likes this.