1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timingcover gasket - $4,500 repair???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JT 2011Prius3, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. Nutstoyou

Nutstoyou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the exact same thing happen to my 2012 Prius, however when I bought the car I opted for the extended warranty and guess what, this is covered under the extended warranty!!!! All I paid was a $50.00 deductible. Dealership estimated it would be around $1850.00 to fix but final bill was $1235.00 which was covered.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^This is more testimony to how out of line the previously mentioned $4500 charge is.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $4500, why fix a leak when you can get an used engine for $3500 installed

05PreeUs, Eastside and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you can buy a lot of oil, stop leak and kitty litter for the driveway for $4500..try a regular repair shop the dealer is always a lot higher

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    it will leak sooner or later too..Id sell the car before dropping $4500 on a $30 gasket

7. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Think of it it is an automatic oil change you keep driving around losing oil and then you put More inLOL

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True.
    They are independently run and operated. Which is why I always advise someone who is unhappy with their dealership to go elsewhere or investigate other options. Some times it can be as simple as just the dealership on the other side of town.

I do think communication with Toyota USA or Toyota Customer Service can help however. While dealerships may run independently they ARE Toyota dealerships, they have a relationship with Toyota, and Toyota has a invested stake in their reputation as built by their network of dealerships.

If you are unhappy with your dealership? The fact that they are independently run can be a positive, as it means your experience at a different dealership has the potential to be entirely different.

Specifically to the OP, yes $4,500 is a massive repair bill, and seems ridiculously high.
    There is a little more than just a timing cover gasket listed, it includes also a time chain tensioner.
    But given that list nearly 5 grand seems like a robbery.

I would be curious as to what they said caused the Hybrid Check Engine Light to illuminate, what they did to resolve that issue.

And given the estimate they are presenting, at the VERY LEAST the OP owes it to themselves to get a second opinion.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This. Multiple responders have said their dealerships quoted around $1600~1700, for the same job.