1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint plans and opinions

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Nexus99, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nexus99

Nexus99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Right onow I am planning to get my V5 tinted with 3m film. Crystalline 70 on the windshield and front doors and ceramic 30 on the back and hatch. What do you guys think?

My car is blizzard pearl.

2. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just had mine done last Friday. 20% on rears and 35% on drivers/passenger window. Max allowed in NE. Greatly helps with the 95+ degree days and helps protect anything in the cargo area while shopping. $212 after tax out the door.

3. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am a firm believer that for the best look you should do all the windows in the same shade. I can understand how some want the rears darker but personally I dont like the look. And tinting your windshield - no.

4. plsinger

plsinger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I run 3m Crystalline....CR50 on all windows but windshield. CR 90 is almost completely clear and would good for the windshield. It will greatly reduce heat without obscuring vision.

5. Encalibur

Encalibur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    for me, ceramic 70% on front, 5% on back, 20% on rear, and 20% eyebrow
    looks terrific, much much cooler even without tinting the entire front windshield (which is illegal here as well).
    I've also noticed that the front side windows as well as windshield glass is already slightly glossed/tinted such that i can't really tell the difference before and after the application of 70% tint.

6. Nexus99

Nexus99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Its illegal here to tint the front... thus the plan to do the backs darker. The kids are asking for some dark tint to get the sun out of their eyes. And with the 120 degree temps we have had I gotta get something on the front windshield to block the heat. Maybe Crysatlline 90 just for the heat block will do it.

7. IceKream

IceKream Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We did ours 35% all the way around and love it. I would even go darker in back if I had to do it again, maybe 25%. My installer said 50% would be like not tinting because the windows come with some tint already.

8. liquidm1980

liquidm1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when u guys say front your mean the doors right? i have dark tints on my car and in s. fl it hasnt been an issue. for my wife when she takes delivery of the prius we plan to get it tinted on the darker side. i am not sure about the percentages since the last time i got tints was back in 2007 when i got my car. i did when i was in my teens have issues with mirror tints. also on my car i have comfort access which seems similar to the prius in the you can unlock, look and start the car with the key fob in your pocket. i heard you had to get some really expensive film or it wouldnt work. i went regular tints for around 120 and havent has any issues.

9. Rusty Fusil

Rusty Fusil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just tinted my 2012 Blizzard with 3M Crystalline, CR40 back and CR70 side. The car is remarkably cooler even in the west valley today at 100 degrees. It looks great. If in So Cal, I found an excellent 3M installer in Ventura county.

SurfersPrius likes this.
  10. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ixlr8a67 likes this.
  11. Glen Davis

Glen Davis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Where in Ventura County? Name .... Number ...

Thanks!

12. JAYSONE

JAYSONE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rusty,

Could you post some pics of the end results and the price you paid? I'm looking to tint my windows too but I would like it even all around vs. two different shades so trying to get a visual reference on the % options.

Thanks in advance

13. sa177

sa177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rusty, can you please post pics and tell us how much you paid for the tint and who you went with?

14. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    30% front, 20% back.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I like it even all the way around as well. 35% seemed like a good compromise so as not to garner too much attention from the fuzz.

Coil overs side.jpg

JAYSONE likes this.
  16. JAYSONE

JAYSONE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the post. 35% all 'round is what I'm debating on.

Would the fuzz be able to see you enough to see your face? May I ask what type of tint you have? I'm thinking about getting the 3m crystalline

17. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One of my good friends owns one of the best tint places in San Diego. He uses Solar Gard tint. I have had all my cars tinted by him using Solar Gard and I have never had any complaints. I hear good things about the 3m stuff but I dont have any experience with it.

JAYSONE likes this.
  18. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mac,

I love your rims. Could you please provide a closeup picture of them? Did you anodized them and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

19. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the compliment Jimmy. We live close enough I could probably show them to you in person. :)
    They are Kazera KZ-I. I have the 17"s and they run about $220 each. I replaced the ugly center caps with chrome ones.
    [​IMG]

Rosie Benitez likes this.
  20. HINewPriusOwner

HINewPriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi Guys, I am going to get tint too. One quote I got was $352 for Formula One Pinnacle ceramic tint. I got another quote, well actually three others, $150 Madico Charcool, $200 3M Color Stable, $500 3M Crystalline. From what I have read, the 3M Crystalline is by far the best, because it is much more clear than the other ones but have the protective properties of a colored film so they can add more layers to provide more protection but still allow light in to comply with tinting laws. The installer is the same for the Charcool, Color Stable and Crystalline and he said the Charcool is just as good as Color Stable if not better but he is just having a sale on the Charcool. Based on what I have been finding on the specs, I am not sure if it is correct or not but, Charcool and Color Stable have 40% TSER, Pinnacle has 54% TSER and Crystalline has 60% TSER at the equivalent VLT%.
    Here are the links to the data:
    Madico Specifications | Madico Window Films & Specialty Films
    Product Code CH.
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtnxf6oXT6EVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Auto%20WF%20Performance%20Data.pdf
    Product Code CS for Color Stable and CR for Crystalline.
    http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Anyone have any thoughts if it is worth getting either the Pinnacle or the Crystalline or if I should just take the Charcool?

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/llumar-solar-film-for-my-gen-ii.107424/#ixzz27nBq6OPC