1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinted Windows---Opinions!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jan 19, 2006.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How much does tinting really help with keeping the car cool? Would it be possible to measure the FE gain or is this purley a cosmetic thing?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WI law is 35% on rear doors and rear windshield, and 50% on front doors. (basically the cops want to be able to see into the driver's window when they pull you over)

i have 35% all around which is illegal.

they'll just give you a fix-it ticket though and send you on your way.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't think there will be any appreciable FE gain, but it sure is more comfortable for me to get in the car after it's been in the NC summer sun for 8 hours.

4. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I like to tint all of the side windows the same level of darkness (pick your level), and the rear window one level darker than the sides. Doing this makes the car look balanced.

When you look at the car from the side, you are looking through the tinted windows on the left side of the car and the tinted windows on the right side of the car, thus appears to be darker than it is. So when viewing from the front or rear of the car, the rear window is tinted but the front windshield is not, so it looked lighter than the sides. if you use one level darker tint on the rear than you use on the sides, the back window appears the same level of darkness and provides a balanced look.

I had my Lexus GS400 tinted the same level all the way around (sides and rear) and I noticed my mistake immediately when I picked up the car. The rear window appeared lighter than the sides, even though it was the same tint. It was the first time I had not tinted the rear window darker than the sides, and I will definitely not make that mistake again.

5. craigcush

craigcush Member

6. benighted

benighted New Member

I haven't noticed that problem, I guess mine is dark enough it doesn't look lighter from the widshield. Except from the sides the front windows look a bit lighter than the rear because the windshield lets all that light in

7. benighted

benighted New Member

Heres a closer shot of the side, you can see in the front a little but not in the back with the same darkness of film.