1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinted windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lauries, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got ceramic tint purely for heat rejection. It is light so the windows look uniform and untinted all around. Plenty of light transmittance was important to maximize visibility at night and to allow other driver's to see through my car (useful for seeing tail lights of the car ahead and visibility when turning corners).

There are three types of tint, from least to most expensive: dye, metallic, and ceramic. I read that dye will change color in 1-3 years, metallic will change color in 3-5 years, and ceramic does not change color. I don't know whether that it is true for dye/metallic, but my ceramic tint does not appear to have changed color and I've had it about 7 years.

Also, there was a concern that metallic tint interferes with GPS and possibly cell reception. I'm not sure if that's true either, but ceramic is suppose to avoid that problem as well.

SilverStreakR likes this.
  2. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    32...Thanks for the update...I guess my info is outdated. Last I heard was no tint, but it may have been what you were saying about the factory tint on the windows.

Either way, I have always tinted my windows all the way around in all my vehicles since way back when. I think since the late 80's I have been given a total of 3 tickets in 3 different vehicles.

I take my chances knowing that there is always an opportunity for being pulled over and ticketed.

Personally, I don't go past "dark" what ever percent that works out to be.

:p:D

3. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had my 2004 tinted right away. If I remember correctly it was 30% on the front and 50% everywhere else. These pics make the tint look a bit darker because of the shade. The tint has held up well in the 8 years I've had this car.

FYI, I am planning on Prius decals on my 2012, but will leave off the "Gas/Electric Hybrid" parts. It made more sense to have that little reminder back in 2004 when the Gen IIs, and hybrids in general, were rare(r).

Attached Files:

4. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 for ceramic. Also reported to reject most heat - very important here in Austin which is situated 10 miles above the surface of the sun June through September.

Purchased my car in October so am interested in comparison this Summer from my other cars with standard tint.

But honestly, never had a problem with the other tints types fading in 8 years of ownership.

5. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey mello, yep just as I thought, it is almost to the rim(the edge of the window that rounds out). here's some pix.

Attached Files:

6. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best image in Burlingame, CA area tinted my all 5 rear windows for $120 @ 20% if you pay cash, life time warranty !!!!!

7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The rear windows look a little darker then the front which would be the norm, I've never seen anyone tint the front with darker tint. ;)

8. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think this is the norm because the front windshield lets in a lot of light because of the lack of tint where the tinted back windows block the light.

I heard of some people doing a full front windshield tint. I know it is illegal, but one person I know just did it on his Audi TT. I have to say, the overall look is stellar, but would not want to risk that ticket.

9. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have my 95 Previa & 09 Corolla front windshields tinted with 50% & you can't even tell it's tinted. It's light enough but looks great & sure does make a difference with summer heat & glare.

10. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've toyed with the idea of tinting the front windshield just for the fact of cutting down that heat factor.

My buddy with the TT went pretty dark though. Since he is a retired officer, I think he can get away with it more then I can....lol.

I'll have to look into that lighter % that you mentioned on yours.

Curious how much my guy will charge to do the front.

11. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The few places I've talked to about tinting a windshield run about $100-150. Some placed get all uptight and tell you to go in and they'll talk to you about it in person. This is all in Orange County, btw.

Search this forum for "air blue". There are some threads about it. Its made by Llumar. It appears it was made for the windshield. Its about 80%. Really light, but the pictures people posted don't look too bad (not THAT light).

If you think about it, the Prius' windshield is the largest piece of glass on the car. It also gets a lot of sun exposure, probably even more than the rear window. Tinting it would make a huge different, IMO.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not like the factory windshield is unfiltered though. It's also 80% just like Llumar Air Blue and has 100% UV cut rate and 55% solar heat reduction. Of course, Air Blue on top of that would result in an aggregate of 64%, which is why you say it doesn't look that light.

13. wernolabound

wernolabound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tinted all the way around. Including a 4.5 inch strip across the top of the windshield. I find the visors too short and the strip REALLY helps. It doesn't bother me at night either. Living in South Florida we really need the tinting. It makes a world of difference. Looks good too.:cool:

14. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My tint goes up to the same edge of the windows as in SoCalBPrius's pics. 8 years of use and no signs of peeling anywhere.

15. Chwisted Sister

Chwisted Sister Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any tinters have issues with unwanted reflections off the rear hatch when viewing the rear view mirror? I tinted a 280zx that, like the prius, had a shallow angled rear hatch window. After tinting, i had horrible multiple reflections in the rear view mirror.

16. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No reflections on mine.

1 person likes this.