1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips for Buying a Used EV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Team ChargePoint, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The popularity of leasing means that lightly used EVs are often on the market - 34% of EV sales in 2017 so far have been preowned. To help you in your search, here are five things to think about when buying used.

Bonus Tip:
    Driving habits and conditions affect battery life, however, losing range hasn’t been a serious problem with used EVs, many of which have hit over 100,000 miles and are still going strong. More at the link!

What are your tips for anyone out there looking to purchase a preowned EV?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    dear
    chargepoint - that statement, as well as your provided chargepoint link are extremely disingenuous, because it should straight up say ONLY Tesla is proving to have such a robust capacity regarding degradation/resistence. As one of the very early Leaf owners (VIN ending ...000659), a mere 7+ years, & just hitting 80K miles, has utterly destroyed our range, even considering our temperate weather, EXTREMELY gentle driving, ALWAYS storing below 80% charge, quick charging way less than 4% of the total quantity of charge times, Etc ... & now? only 38 miles range left, during 50° winters, while driving @ a constant 65mph. God forbid if we had lived in the 120° deserts, or if we now had to drive up steep grades
    Our tip? To perspective used EV owners?
    Never never never ever by a Nissan Leaf, whether new or used, because you never know if even the newest model is going to have their disgusting pathetic passive thermal management system. Without an aggressive liquid cooled thermal management system, your traction pack will devour itself range wise in short order. Unless you get your car for under $900, look forward to spending over 5,000, for a replacement traction pack which leaves you with a $4,000 electric vehicle. shame on you Nissan. You have no clue how many Advocates you lost, and how much customer Goodwill you totally destroyed. That's the reason used plugin Nissan's are so low priced, because they are utterly worthless. Nissan had to have a class action lawsuit brought against it, because they refused to give any support when their Junkie non-robust systems quickly began to fail. And nevermind their thin paint, horribly quick wearing carpet, phone app interface that quickly went dead because cell phone servers did away with 2G service that Nissan used for its interface, which Nissan knew was right around the corner, & Nissan's thin cloth material used for upholstery getting decrepit. I'll leave it at that, before I really get started ....

#2 hill, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems a little harsh, but once burned twice shy.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i thought the expression was one 'bitten' twice shy . . . . .

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did nissan bite you?:p

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Probably making too much of it - because it could'a been worse ....
    Yea, it wasn't that bad . . . .

pitbull1.png

They could have had rabies

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Or screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.;)

hill likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Looking at the bright side, if it ever gets stolen, they won't get too far!

scona likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand where Hill is coming from as the degradation on Leaf's are pretty horrendous. However, buying a very cheap Leaf with low miles will work as a second car for many people. The TCO is so low on these things that it makes the degradation palatable. For someone looking to take advantage of EV cost of driving that doesn't want to pay $20k+ a used Leaf is about the only option available. Even if they lose half their range...that still works for many people as a second "around town" vehicle.