1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips to disable beeps for back-up and front passenger seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lars, Jul 4, 2009.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would contact your sales manager and inform him of your request and the response you received. If he/she does not fall all over you to please you regarding that change, I would then write a nice letter to the owner of the dealership explaining why it is you will not be doing business with them in the future.

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, this dealership isn't the place that I bought my car from, so I'm not as inclined to be pushy. This dealership is less than 10 minutes away...the next closest Toyota facility would be over 30 minutes away, so I don't want to make any waves. I don't want to have to drive over 30 minutes away for an oil change or maintenance.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I decided to be proactive and find out my dealers policy on customization options before my car arrives. I took copies of the appropriate pages, indicating the changes I want, to the salesman this morning. He said "no problem we'll take care of it as a predelivery item, no charge".

1 person likes this.
  4. Prius2010818

Prius2010818 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    has anyone attempted to simply disconnect the actual device that makes the beeping sound?

5. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here, printed out the entire list of settings, highlited what I wanted set that was not the default and handed it to the sales rep. Mind you this is the third car I have purchased through him in 8 years so he might want my business.

Unfortunately the downside is he messed up the colour on the order form and still waiting. Car originally due yesterday but looks like next week at this stage.

David

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The beeping does not bug me much, either because my hearing is shot or it drowns out my wife :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Boji

Boji Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! That beeping DOES drown out pretty much everything. I wonder if Toyota will ever put the beeping as a "marriage enhancement feature"...

8. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you get a sec, aussiedave, can you list off all the customizable options on that list?

9. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I down loaded the owners manual from another post. It is in a section near the end titled customizations.

It is a PDF and the PDF reader they supply here at work does not allow selecting and copying.

10. zeke

zeke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We just came home today with our 2010 Prius and I had the dealer disable the backup beep. They use a lap top connected under the dash and now there is only a single beep when reverse is selected. We live in PA.

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha. How long until it's "I hit the pedestrian because I couldn't hear him yelling over the sound of my backup beeper!"

12. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am picking up my Prius in two weeks. Is it true that the beep is louder inside the car than outside the car? Is this something that can wake up the neighbors?

I may be going to work at 5AM in the morning. My neighbors will kill me if I beeped like that every morning at 5AM. :eek:

13. datrays

datrays New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It doesn't beep on the outside. Just in the car.

14. Bill Well

Bill Well New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone disabled the backup beep on the 2010 Prius yet? I disabled the backup beep on my 2006 Prius but those intstructions do not work on the 2010. I can tune it out, but for some reason it drives my wife crazy.

15. jmp

jmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately only dealers can customize your default settings on the Gen III. Your dealer will hook up his TSI laptop under your car's underdash port to change the settings. I had the dealer change the following to default setting on my Prius II:
    - one beep on reverse (your choice is 1 beep or continuous beep)
    - touching drivers door handle unlocks all doors.
    - no beep when driver's seatbelt is not secured (you cannot disable beep on passenger side).

If your dealer would not do it or is charging you for this contact Toyota Customer Service.

Good luck!

2 people like this.
  16. raysprius

raysprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same changes done by my dealer FOC at the first oil change. No problem.

17. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We had both our II and III reverse beeper changed to 1 beep and the driver side seatbelt beeper turned off. (Here for more details)
    When the cars were delivered back to us the service person looked very puzzled, telling us that they were able to disalarm the drivers side but not the passenger seat. We are all confused as to any logic in this. Isn't it the passenger seat where one might carry a bag of groceries or tool box, etc., that might set off the beeper unnessaraly.
    Gennerally speaking, isn't there always a person in the drivers seat?
    I'm so confused....:help:

18. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well maybe it was Toyota's logic that generally there is NOT a passenger in the seat as a normal occurence.

If you drive to work and look around 90% of all vehicles and I don't have the particular statistics at hand, but there is typically only a single driver with no passenger.

So, maybe based on that, they decided what they did. I would not put my tools on my "Leather Seats" thus would use the back hatch area.

I haven't yet reduced the backup beep to a single one, but may down the road. So far it has made me somewhat more "Alert" when backing.....So I am not in reverse for more than 30 seconds or less tops, so I can deal with it for now...;)

19. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    The driver is USUALLY the person who asked the warning to be removed! The passenger might have a viable suit if they sit there and, having just fallen off the proverbial turnip truck, do not get beeped to buckle up.

That is my guess, anyway.

20. Casi

Casi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My driveway is 100 feet long and if my dealer refuses to disable the reverse beeper I'll go insane by 2011.