1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips to prepare for a very long drive

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by deegowd, May 23, 2013.

1. deegowd

deegowd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am a new driver and have never driven more than 400 miles one way before. Next week I'm planning to drive from SF Bay area to Austin, TX (>1,700 miles over 2 days). Is there anything I should do differently to prepare for the long drive? I will have some cargo since I am relocating, but just a couple of big suitcases.

2. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just check tire pressure and fluids before you go. Don't forget to stop often to stretch your legs (we stop every two hours, helps keep kids from getting too cranky). Google some out interesting places to stop along the way. There are some wacky things out there that are worth adding a a few mines and minutes to your trip that are great photo ops that you will remember forever.

3. labell

labell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your ride will be oh so much more comfortable than when I made a cross country trip in my Geo Metro--which by the way got 50 mpg with its regular gasoline engine. That was many vehicles ago, and along the way I have owned two Audi's. They have a built in timer that flashes at you every two hours. That is how important the Germans take safety. You may not feel like you need a rest that often, but you will be less tired in the long run if you take them anyway, if only to walk a few times around the car and breathe some fresh air.

4. deegowd

deegowd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks FrairNurgle and labell. I am scheduling an appointment with the dealer to check the fluids and tires.

5. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Buy a cooler that plugs in to the power outlet so you can keep drinks cold.

Any pets? If so, blankets, food etc. always take a little extra just in case.

First aid kit, emergency kit as well because there are stretches of road on Interstate 10 where no services for miles. I keep a flashlight with me and some basic tools as well.

Don't forget a cable to keep your cell phone charged as well.

iPhone ?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My sister and her husband drove their v3 9000 miles from BC to FL (and back) this spring, it will be fine!

7. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Echoing a couple of points from others...
    1. Watch your gas gauge in west Texas. There is (or was) a point on I-10 where it is more than 70 miles between gas stations. When in doubt, fill up.
    2. Stop every 2 hours, even if it's for 5 minutes, and get out and walk around. Does wonders to keep you fresh. If driving with someone else, switch every 2 hours, even if you're not tired. Both drivers will be relatively refreshed all day.
    3. Even if you're not a fan of audio books, they can make the miles and hours really fly by. Even something simple such as the classic "Treasure Island" can keep your mind occupied and help the day pass.
    4. Goes without saying, drive defensively and be careful.

Good luck!

8. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, don't forget the Valentine One radar detector. Cop's in AZ & Texas are in unmarked vehicles & use radar a lot.

Draft behind the big rigs-helps the mpg

iPhone ?

9. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Get yourself Speed Cheetah C100 for red-light cameras as well; I think this unit can be paired with radar detectors.
    From a heath food store buy Raw Chocolate Nibs "Cacao" I can guarantee you will not fall asleep behind the wheel; don't take it too much.