1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips & tricks for the “normal†driver to achieve satisfying fuel efficiency on the Prius Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pakitt, Feb 27, 2011.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I love it: "anticipatory following distance", and cars that don't have the "optional turn signal package". This video ought to be required material for every driver's ed class.

But Tony, you don't look anything like your avatar.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, my velure uniform was at the dry cleaners.

3. adrianp

adrianp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well said!

1 person likes this.
  4. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the great tips. They are realistic and safe.

1 person likes this.
  5. adrianp

adrianp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    she looks good in red

6. JonathanK

JonathanK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! This, and Tony's video, have already made a difference. I was able to bring my numbers up, at the end of a tank, too.

Does the Auto climate control make such a big difference? I usually keep it off, or really low anyway, and Auto doesn't do defog.

2 people like this.
  7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Excellent! I'm happy to help and thrilled that you benefited from it. As I said in the video, it's not new information; it's just things we need to be reminded about from time to time.

On the Auto A/C, it helps when compared to manual settings. But like you, I normally have my A/C off entirely and then usually have it set at the highest temp in the summer or lowest setting in the winter. I understand that some will call me extreme, but I normally don't turn on the cabin heat until the outside temp drops to below around 27˚F. Coat, scarf, gloves and a mug of coffee are all I need to stay warm.

What I have found (personal experience may differ) is that setting the fan on the first or second speed is much more beneficial to mileage than going up to even the third speed setting. I believe that I can tell an impact when I bump it up to the third setting though I won't rule out the possibility that I'm mentally skewing the results based on expectations. I normally don't use recirculation because the windows fog up and I usually blow air up the windshield.

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    IMHO Auto climate control does the best job with the least effort, adapting demand on the climate control on the external air temperature and sun exposure (as far as I know the Prius does not measure external (or internal for that matter) air humidity - a pity). If all vents are kept fully open to let Auto do its job, you end up with a nice climate in the cabin with the least effort.
    As for defog, yes, you need to take care yourself about this by pressing the defog button. Not driving in ECO mode, does also reduce fogging of windows if they tend to do so due to external climate conditions.

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the hint.
    Most countries in EU do not allow cars to stand still with the engine turned on. So I cannot really follow personally the advice. The EU version of it is: after turning on the Prius, drive it as slowly as reasonably possible for the first 45-60 seconds or so, depending on the external temperature - it might be longer on very cold temperatures, until the engine has not started to warm up enough to provide some torque to the wheels.

Regarding the ECO mode (but why ECO and not some other mode? it shouldn't make any difference if you are in Normal or PWR mode), I would say: never start in EV mode, unless you are planning for a trip longer than a few hundred meters/yards.

10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would like to thank everybody here for their comments and notes of appreciation of my blog article. I have modified a few paragraphs and added a couple more (as if the article wasn't already long enough... ;) ) based on your valuable inputs.
    The revised article is in the same original location.
    PS: I also added a glossary section to my blog, where I will add acronyms whenever I use them - if you see that I missed some, please let me know I will add them. The Glossary can be found at its tab at the top of the blog page, under the main title and picture.

11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd probably only switch to PWR after the ICE is fully warmed up. Even though it probably doesn't make much difference (assuming the modifiers are working as normal), but there's a bit less wear once the engine oil is heated up. (Since it's easier to get the ICE going with PWR mode)

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have now understood what you meant. Yes, using PWR will likely make your reach more easily the upper part of the HSI when the ICE is not really yet fully warmed up; Normal and even more so ECO, can mitigate this by forcing the user to press more the pedal to get that kind of acceleration and therefore insuring that with "normal" gas pedal positions this would not be the case.

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did not know that some EU countries do not allow extended idles. Prior to my Prius, I got into the habit of shutting off my car at red lights. It had to have helped with emissions and MPGs, but I don't know for sure.

14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, for example in Italy you can pay 200 to 400€ if you stop the car (meaning that the car is left with the engine on, not at a traffic light or stop sign or yield sign, with the possibility of the driver to leave the vehicle) and leave the engine on to keep the A/C running. A/C means both cold and warm air...

In Germany you simply cannot let it run if not necessary (to move). It is up to the Polizei to decide whether you needed it or not... ;) - no mention to how much is the ticket. (It is also not allowed to slam the doors noisily...)

In the UK, you can read this: Drivers who leave engines running to clear screens could face fines under 'idling offence' rules | Mail Online

In Sweden you cannot have an engine run for more than 1 min.

All of the above have ecology in mind and in some cases, reduction of unnecessary noise and to reduce fuel consumption is some specific cases.

I agree with all of them...

1 person likes this.
  15. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Inexpensive, yet practical applications of managing noise and carbon pollution. Globally, we all have a lot to learn from each other!

16. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wonder if a "normal" driver who drives a Prius stays normal or does the Prius forever change how he drives it. After owning a Prius for 6 months all of my driving techniques have changed. I never tailgate, I never speed unless I'm carrying speed down a hill. I always try to manage momentum and braking to achieve optimal MPG. I coast as far as I can and accelerate as little as possible. I use pulse/glide and every other trick I have learned on PC. I didn't plan this, it just happened. So in a sense I think a normal driver doesn't stay normal when he gets behind the wheel of a Prius after a period of time.

I just asked my wife if she drives her 1 month old Prius normal just like she did her van and she said, yes but I notice that I anticipate traffic lights more. So in a month she is not driving entirely normal either.

So what is normal Prius driving and what percentage of people that drive a Prius actually drive it exactly the same as their previous vehicles? I think it's a small number.

17. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Skilbo...we're the new normal!

18. Airboss

Airboss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like it when a Hummer is left idling in the convenience store parking lot, while the owner goes in to buy some smokes. It sounds and smells nice. NOT!

19. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course, if these rules were in force in the US, it would be infringing on our rights. Likewise, it is infringing on the rights of millionaires to pay taxes. Americas priorities are a little screwed up.

20. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks for the tips.

1 person likes this.