1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire / alignment question..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scott.in.colorado, May 29, 2013.

1. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been told that tire tread pattern(s) can cause cars to wonder / drift when roads have certain grove patterns in them. My front tires are a bit warn but not ready for replacement. I notice, for the last 6 months or so, that my Prius does not hold the 'track' and drifts a little on certain roads. I had the front end aligned and for the most part, it's OK (but I think still pulls to the left just a bit). I travel a fair amount with my job and notice when I rent cars, how well the cars 'track' with no drift. I'm trying to figure out if tire wear could be the problem, or tread pattern, or what? I cold swap the back (new) with the front to see if this drift goes away, but it's a bit of a hassle to do.

Ideas?
    Thanks.

2. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to run 3 pounds of extra air in the drivers front tire to get perfect tracking.
    The genII prius has about 200 pounds extra weight on drivers front tire due the very heavy transaxle on that side.
    See my post uneven load on prius front end or something to that wording..

You can try to compare sidewall tire bulges between drivers and passengers front tires.
    Or try to measure distance from road to the bottom rim edge of tires drivers and passenger front to observe and compensate
    for unballanced weight on front tires...

Softer riding tires will require more pressure in left drivers side to compensate for the weight difference..

The extra weight on drivers front results in that tire rotating more revolutions just like having a smaller diameter tire on drivers
    front tire..
    This pulls to the left expecially when braking on level ground..

Hope this helps and makes sense..

3. scott.in.colorado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an interesting thought. Call me crazy but its easy enough to try.
    Scott

EDIT - In thinking on this, I've been driving for 30 years and wondering like this has not been an issue in any cars I have owned, and was not an issue in my Prius before this. At this point, I think it's the tire wear, not the tire pressure. I have never (does not mean I'm right here) taken the time to adjust tire pressure +/- 2 or 3 lbs on one front side to make any car stop wondering. While I would agree if one tire is low (very low) the diameter would be different than the other tire and spin a bit faster, but not that it would cause wondering..

I continue to learn as I age, so will not totally discount this theory and will keep it in the back of my brain for future consideration.

4. scott.in.colorado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just as a follow up, I rotated my tires, new ones in front, drives great. Seems the wear in the front tires is the problem.

5. WeeDrgn

WeeDrgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just learned via another thread that there is a chassis brace that can be bolted on. It seems to make the frame more ridged/stiff and some say it helps with wandering, especially in windy conditions. One, on E-bay, was selling his because his wife said it made the ride too rough for here. Mine wanders a little more than I am used to but not bad enough to worry and my wife doesn't notice it at all and has done a long trip recently and didn't mention any issues but the cruise control acted up after she drove over a small branch - hit under the car behind the front wheel passenger side. It happened to me - cruise control not working 100%. I took a good look under there and checked all the wires and brake lines. Couldn't see a thing but it has never happened since then. Odd...
    But I ramble. Bye!