1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire balancing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, Sep 20, 2017.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced my oem goodyear integres at 90k miles with pirelli p4 all season plus tires.

I believe they have balanced the tires improperly.

3 of the four tires have weights placed very close to 180 degrees apart from each other on the inside and outside parts of the rim.
    One has 3 weights on the inside and 4 on the outside (of the rim) 180 degrees opposite each other.
    The second tire has 4 weights on the inside of the rim and 5 weights on the outside of the rim 180 degrees apart.
    The third tire has 5 weights on the inside of the rim and 5 equal weights on the outside of the rim again spaced very nearly 180 degrees oppsite each other.
    The fourth tire was balanced by a different person and has only 3 weights placed on the inside of the rim.

All weights are 1/4 ounce.

It seems to me that the opposing weights provide no static (updown) balance.
    but provide only dynamic balance.
    But all three tires balanced by the same person have apparently no static imbalance and all dynamic (side to side) imbalance.
    Its so strange if not mallicous that these three tires are perfectly balanced staticly requiring only dynamic balancing?

I brought it to the manager's attention he is speachless at first then proceeds to give me a lesson on tire balancing and claming that he see's equal weights opposing each other spaced 180 degrees apart on oposite parts of the rim ALL THE TIME.

The prius drives really strange on the freeway at 60mph and above. about every mile it trys to jump out of my lane. I have an appointment friday to get it checked out.

My orignal integrities (japan manufactured) that had never been balanced (with 90,000 miles drove much
    better. I dont know how brand new cars come with such perfectly balanced tires. But hope to find somewhere to balance my pirelli p4 tires perfectly.

Any tire balancing experts out there in priuschat land?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I’m no balancing expert but all of those seem normal. But of course this doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be something wrong there.

Modern tires and rims have pretty good static balance from the factory and (most of) tires do have their heaviest position marked on them so you can match it to the rim to minimize static imbalance. But since the rim is relatively small and narrow you have to use a lot of weight to correct the dynamic balance.

With the Prius and other normal cars with similar tire size and suspension set up you really shouldn’t feel much difference even if the tires would be only statically balanced. So most likely there is statically wrong balanced tire(s), out of round tire(s), or something else.

epoch_time likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might actually find one, being as there are so many other 'experts' on here ;)

When I needed a set of tires "properly" mounted and balanced I started by researching the current 'state of the art' in balancing equipment and then found a shop who used that equipment at the lowest cost.

There may be professional gear beyond the new for 2016 Hunter 'Road Force Elite' GSP9700 (5th Gen), but this is likely the bleeding edge for most tire or repair shops (and quite a few don't have one!!) : Road Force Elite Wheel Balancer | Worlds #1 Wheel Balancing Machine | Hunter Engineering

Next do a search for an "Independent Recommended Installer" at one of those 'buy tires online' websites (there are many), hopefully you can locate an installer that offers the Road Force Elite.

Here is one example, with a local zip for your area : Find Installer

Could also do a cross reference search here : GSP9700 Locator

Next pick the location that best fits your need(s); distance, price, availability, yelp, tire rack rating, etc.. make sure they are balancing with the "Road Force Elite" equipment before committing to having any work done at a given price point. ( pricing pledge here: Tire Tech Information - Tire Rack's Recommended Installers -YMMV, and may only apply to tires purchased through TR and or shipped to that installer)

You may (or not) want to tell them about the existing situation regarding your tires, that way they can remount the tires if needed.

Always be sure to look at (and double check) the cost for extras like, new stems, tire disposal, TPMS service, shop fee % (Wth?), and low profile tires. Different shops will overcharge for services and extras, currently one of my local shops wants $54.50 to balance a single tire, where I only paid $40 to balance all four (4) tires on the best equipment in my area at that time :whistle:

Now you can be your own expert!! (y)

05PreeUs and epoch_time like this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does seem like the installer failed "Tire Installation 101" and is attempting to correct an out-of-round condition with weights, then had to add more weigh to correct the imbalance.

Are there ANY colored dots on the outside of the sidewall and if so, what color and how close are they to the valve stem on each wheel?

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think you weren't listening to what the manager was trying to tell you.

What you are saying about "static" and "dynamic" balance makes no sense.
    Tires are balanced rotationally; there is no "side to side" balancing that takes place.
    It is good practice to split needed weights above a certain amount to the two sides of the rim.

No doubt that you have a problem there somewhere but it is ***NOT*** due to what you have observed about the placement of the weights.
    It just isn't.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yes there is! While certainly not as important as it was 30 years ago, when the quality of tires was much more suspect, tires need to be balanced radially (around their circumference) and side-to-side if the deviation is enough to add a weight.

There are cases where weights are ONLY placed on the inner portion of the rim, centered between the beads, this is most common on high-end cars and a few trucks, where edge weights would damage the wheel material or finish. You *can* always place these stick-on weights in the center of the rim, if the side-to-side imbalance is zero or minimal, some installers prefer to do so, as do I.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That’s the common/correct way of balancing alloy wheels as people don’t want the weights to be visible and/or damage the finish.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The problem with saying that IS:
    It is much too easy to read that and think that "balancing" can be used to correct for "out of round" (circumference) and "out of true" (side-to-side) defects and it CAN NOT. Not really.

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OMG running Integrities for 90,000 miles....the humanity.

I do not doubt for a moment there's a ton of weights on the tires. You probably have bent wheels.
    It take very little to bend G2 wheels they are very light and very small. I had 4 bent wheels on mine over the years especially and with you running a hard as a rock Integrity ESPECIALLY if its over filled to 40+ lbs then it will hit like a hammer. Its such a horrible tire you may not have even noticed it had a bent wheel. Alot of tire shops do not routinely check for bent wheels.

The very best way to check for a bent wheel is to put the tire on a back rim put the nuts on and spin the wheel. You will instantly see if its even slightly out of round or bent. Its better than looking for it on a machine.

#9 edthefox5, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017