1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire blowout. Am I liable to pay for it plus damages?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RaZa, Oct 31, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you shop you can get them for under $700 installed. :)

2. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Had 16,100 miles on the tire at time of the blowout. Talked to the guys at the dealership. I think I finally convinced them I did NOT hit anything on the road, and I also expressed that I really do not care about the money (total fix cost is $450 btw) if I did I would not have bought a $35K car. I just want what's right. I drove off the lot without paying anything so far while we figure out what the best course of action is. Like I said they are nice there... Hopefully I can get a percentage of the tires back and put it towards a set of michelin tires.

Anyone have a specific Michelin model that is a good choice? WEOH mentioned MXM4

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Justin will stop by and educate you on the tire options. He has done extensive research on many different brands & models of tires. I wouldn't even want to guess a correct link to his information. He'll be by soon I suspect :) Good to hear the dealership is working with you. You'll get it fixed and get a set of new safe skins :)

BTW, what's your best guess on February weather this year down there? We come to Orlando every February for a week or so. We won't have a rental Prius this time as Hertz quite renting them from Minneapolis. They assured us we will have a Swagger though :)

Mike

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without the rebate I feel the MXM4 is too pricey.

For Florida I would say try the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus for comfort and value or Goodyear Assurance ComforTread (because of the $80 rebate). For fuel economy the Continental PureContact is nice. All of these are in a 205/50/17.

If you're dead set on sticking with the OE size then the Continental ContiProcontact are cheap right now ($300 less than the MXM4)! They have them at $416 a set vs. $700. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 is not on sale right now otherwise I would suggest those in either size.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    RaZa, did that blown out tire have any previous sidewall damage, like hitting a curb, pot hole, etc? Did it have any visual cue of a pending failure?

6. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No no prior damage at all. I've never hit a curb or anything, and have been checking the pressure every cpl weeks.

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I am debating if I should ditch them and get a set of Primacy MXM4s myself, before one blows and breaks the car, or worse, breaks me or one of my passengers. I only have 7K on them.

I do weekly pressure checks and look at the sidewall. Base on what you said, I don't know how much good it would do. Plus, I can't see the inside sidewall anyway. Seems to be a losing battle.

WE0H likes this.
  8. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are excellent. You are lucky. Toyota should install these tires OEM on all the Prius series.

9. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a sidewall blowout on an almost new Yokohoma, but got no warranty relief because the certified Yokohoma dealer believed I ran over something, with which I disagreed. In any case the car dealership wanted an outrageous price for a replacement Yokohoma, while the tire dealer had a more reasonable price. Neither one of them had one in stock, and the soonest either one could have one was three days. Ridiculous.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By running at the higher pressures, you will limit the flexing of your sidewall., thus decreasing the heat generated by that flexing. This generated heat is a typical cause of tire failure. I think you should be OK. Just keep an eye on F8L's omnipotent Tire Replacement sticky in the Gen III fuel forum for all your tire replacement needs.

xs650 likes this.
  11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The MXM4's stick like glue to the road in hard cornering. I run them at 49 psi fronts & 47 psi rears. I have yet to feel any pushing or oversteer. They ride like a sports car tire but that is fine if you are used to that type of a ride. My Plus suspension likely has an effect on the ride stiffness.

Mike

Jonny Zero likes this.