1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire caps an odd size?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Nov 16, 2022.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2007 came with grey tire caps. Today one of them split in half (the distal part separated from the proximal part, leaving a "ring" and a "cup"). I had one spare tire cap in the glove box (bought ages ago for another car) - and it went on but was kind of loose. These have been used on other cars where they fit normally. I always thought there was just one size valve stem for cars. Is it possible these stems are just a hair narrower than on most other cars?

Either that or that cap was made wrong or somehow expanded a bit in the many years living in a glove box.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've seen prii with the green caps on all four tires and moved them from a bunch of other cars and all Schrader caps should interchange . I don't think they make presta valves like for high quality bicycles for the automotive industry I think they're all Schrader type or other ones that are made aren't widely supported and parts would be special order like maybe some kind of racing tire valves then I have no idea but Schrader should all be the same I can't remember the threading in diameter but it's a standard

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a "bad cap" -- bad, bad cap. They all interchange. I have a bag full of old caps that I save from shredded bicycle tires. They fit all my car tires -- bridgestone, delta, michelin, general. Speaking of bad...

dolj likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Valve stems being seperate from tyre . More part of wheel. .. In automotive worldwide they should exchange. Even the nicer solid screw in types same thread.

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think green caps were a Costco thing where they fill the tires with Nitrogen, but yes. caps are one size fits all

6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, come on. None of you other than Dolj liked my vid. Ah, yes, it has nothing to do with Prius maintenance, but....for some reason, that movie reaches me more than most. Maybe because it seemed to be one of my father's faves.
    Kris

#6 cyberpriusII, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Schraeder valves are standard on all automobile tires and the valve caps are all interchangeable. The caps may be different colors but they're all the same size.

cyberpriusII likes this.